Pot Melt with Iridized

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Larry Lunsford

Pot Melt with Iridized

Post by Larry Lunsford »

What are the do's and dont's r.e. putting iridized glass in with a pot melt?

I know that fusing iridized to iridized doesn't work well. Will iridized in a pot melt also cause problems?

Larry
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Larry I don't do pot melts but I do do high fire work. My experience has been that the irid. burns off. It's doesn't cause any problems in high fire work at all that I can tell.

Amy
Jerry

Iridized pot melt

Post by Jerry »

Interesting you should ask; I've been considering the same thing. The iridizing will go away at those temps, however, I've been able to keep an iridized look by using a base sheet of iridized and placing the iridized surface DOWN! Don't know why it works but it does.

Jerry
dee

Re: Pot Melt with Iridized

Post by dee »

[quote="Larry Lunsford"]What are the do's and dont's r.e. putting iridized glass in with a pot melt?

I know that fusing iridized to iridized doesn't work well. Will iridized in a pot melt also cause problems?

one thing i've found when using irid at high temps and then slumping later is the irid tends to stretch and leave a texture and look i don't like if it's on the side against the slumping form

something to keep in mind - haven't played potmelt yet tho'...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Edythe Halliday

Pot melt with irid glass

Post by Edythe Halliday »

Hi
I have just finished a pot melt with some aventurine green irid [1112-31F] glass in the mix. I went up to 1675 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. You can still see the irid in the finished piece and it shines very nice. I didn't know what would happen but thought I would try as I had lots of scraps. I'm pleased with how it turned out but don't know if other irid glass would do the same.

I will take a picture and see if I can figure out how to send it.
I would go ahead and try the irid.

Edythe :)