New Booth Sign

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Geri Comstock

New Booth Sign

Post by Geri Comstock »

Hey guys -

I'm going to have a new sign made for my booth soon and wanted some input from you all.

One of the reasons I'm having a new sign made is that I'm tired of people asking me if my glass is plastic or recycled plastic. LOL.

As I see it, I could use 2 different terms to describe my work.."fused glass" or "kiln-worked glass."

I'm trying to distinguish myself from the people that customers refer to as "just glass slumpers"...

As I see it, using the term "kiln-worked" might raise questions that I could answer and use as fodder to make a sale. On the other hand, I can see that some customers might not know what it means or find it pretentious and off-putting.

Just wondering what you all think about this...

Geri
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Geri,

I personally prefer to use kiln worked. I think it sounds more professional.

That's my vote.

Amy
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Use kiln-worked or (my preference) kiln-formed.
Cynthia

Re: New Booth Sign

Post by Cynthia »

Geri Comstock wrote:Hey guys -
As I see it, using the term "kiln-worked" might raise questions that I could answer and use as fodder to make a sale. On the other hand, I can see that some customers might not know what it means or find it pretentious and off-putting.

Just wondering what you all think about this...

Geri
Kiln worked, kiln formed, kiln fired...it all sounds better than fused, which isn't as dynamic of a word as worked, formed or fired. Nor does it seem as descriptive of the entire potential of the process. Those terms sound good, are accurate and as far as i'm concerned are anything but pretentious. Most people who don't know what fused glass is won't know what kiln formed means either...but most people do know what a kiln is. I think "kiln formed/worked/fired" opens doors for people to say, "you fire this in a kiln like clay???" and opens the doors to more opportunity to talk about your work.

Why on earth would they think your glass is plastic? Can't they tell by the way it looks and feels it's glass? I've seen your work, and it looks just like glass to me. Who are these people Geri? :shock: :lol:
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i switched from 'fused and slumped' to' kiln formed'. i get more interested questions now. rosanna
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Kiln formed glass and have some promotional material readily available that describes what kiln formed glass is about.

Paul
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Geri- I vote for kiln-formed too.

BTW, you could have a neon sign that says "glass" and they'll still ask you what the material is! I have one that says Kremer Glass and I still get the question!

Marty
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

My original sign said "fused and lampworked glass", But the next one will read Kiln formed and torch worked glass :!:

Jim
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I like "Kilnfired Glass" it seems to help them understand the high temps we use.
Don
"The Glassman"
Jo Holt

Post by Jo Holt »

Kiln-formed, or fused & formed.

Bet you still get asked "Do you make this?!" :o
dee

Post by dee »

Jo Holt wrote:Kiln-formed, or fused & formed.

Bet you still get asked "Do you make this?!" :o
does anyone have any idea how much money we'd have it we got a nickel for every time someone asked that fine question at all the shows we each do? ;P
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Cynthia wrote:

Why on earth would they think your glass is plastic? Can't they tell by the way it looks and feels it's glass? I've seen your work, and it looks just like glass to me. Who are these people Geri?

Ummmm...I don't know who these folks are. The stupid people? The people who don't know what kiln-worked glass is yet? LOL.

Here's my latest example...Last weekend I did the Contemporary Craft Market show in Santa Monica, arguably the show with the best quality work in Southern California.

Anyway, a woman bought a vase from me and asked how she should care for it. I said that she could wash it in the sink or clean it with glass cleaner. She asked, "You mean it's GLASS?" I said, "Yes." She said, "I'd better take better care of it than I was planning to then." It was all I could do not to laugh.

That was when I KNEW I needed a new booth sign. My current one only has my name on it. If someone could go to the Santa Monica CCM show and think they were buying a plastic vase, it could happen at any show. LOL.

Another funny thing happened. A man bought two plates from me and asked me who the artist who made them was. I said, "Me." He seemed quite surprised that I was actually selling my own work or that I could be the artist...not sure which. LOL. I expect that kind of customer surprise at a street show, but didn't expect it there. Too funny. Maybe I'd better work at looking more like an artist. Would a beret help?

Laughing -

Geri
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Geri

I have 2 pictures on my 5' wide sign. It is printed on a big ink jet printer, laminated and mounted on heavy foam core.

I think that the big pictures are impressive.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Geri Comstock wrote:Cynthia wrote:

Why on earth would they think your glass is plastic? Can't they tell by the way it looks and feels it's glass? I've seen your work, and it looks just like glass to me. Who are these people Geri?

Ummmm...I don't know who these folks are. The stupid people? The people who don't know what kiln-worked glass is yet? LOL.

Here's my latest example...Last weekend I did the Contemporary Craft Market show in Santa Monica, arguably the show with the best quality work in Southern California.

Anyway, a woman bought a vase from me and asked how she should care for it. I said that she could wash it in the sink or clean it with glass cleaner. She asked, "You mean it's GLASS?" I said, "Yes." She said, "I'd better take better care of it than I was planning to then." It was all I could do not to laugh.

That was when I KNEW I needed a new booth sign. My current one only has my name on it. If someone could go to the Santa Monica CCM show and think they were buying a plastic vase, it could happen at any show. LOL.

Another funny thing happened. A man bought two plates from me and asked me who the artist who made them was. I said, "Me." He seemed quite surprised that I was actually selling my own work or that I could be the artist...not sure which. LOL. I expect that kind of customer surprise at a street show, but didn't expect it there. Too funny. Maybe I'd better work at looking more like an artist. Would a beret help?

Laughing -

Geri
Geri, no one's stories can make me laugh out loud the way yours can. Todays was the best laugh I've had since Jackie's orange glo story last week. How do you manage not to laugh when people say these things to you?

Don't know how I could do the show ciruit!

Barbara

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Geri, what about a BIG sign with checked off boxes right under your name.

Geri Comstock, Glass Artist
*yes, this is glass
*yes, I made it
*yes, the glass is melted together in a hot kiln
*yes, it's for sale
*No, it won't bounce if dropped!

We have a long ways to go to educate a lot of the public. In my work setting, visitors to my business place can look right into my studio and watch me work.

So this woman comes in, spends 15 minutes watching me put the finishing touches on a peice of glass and fine metal jewelry. She walks over to the jewelry counter where other similar peices of jewelry are displayed and asks "Do you make this here?"

Argh.............I give up! :-s
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Geri Comstock, Glass Artist
*yes, this is glass
*yes, I made it
*yes, it's for sale

Don't forget, *No, you may not lick it!

Remember Geri's famous lick test ?! Too funny!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Jackie Beckman wrote:Geri Comstock, Glass Artist
*yes, this is glass
*yes, I made it
*yes, it's for sale

Don't forget, *No, you may not lick it!

Remember Geri's famous lick test ?! Too funny!
Don't forget a reference to Chihuly
like*Dale Chihuly bought these to decorate his guest bathroom
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Geri

I think your sign should read
--------------------------------------------
Geri Comstock---------Glass Artist

The Sign is Plastic---The Art is Glass
--------------------------------------------

I think the world in general is having an identity crisis when it comes to things of real value. Everything around us these days is made of plastic and is designed to last for a year and then go in the trash. The younger generation is really in trouble. They seem caught up in a life of worthless values like colored plastic covers for their cell phones and forget the real things. When it's all over and they look back at their lives they will wonder where it all went. They haven't the slightest clue about true value in anything they buy and they treat everything they own like it's only going to last until they go to Wall Mart the next time.

The lack of knowledge about things of real value was brought home recently when my nephew and his girl friend announced they were getting married. When my wife asked them where they were registered they said

TARGET.COM

I just about split a gut laughing when she told me.

Now the big problem is, What to get the couple that has no taste?

If it's Target they want, it's Target they'll get.

Uncle Scrooge
Deb Libby

Post by Deb Libby »

=D> Oh Ron ... I'm ROTFL ! What a great sign! And so true about the de-valued state of the nation .... I keep hearing that various items (which used to be large, long-term acquisitions in the days of old .... I remember them like yesterday) are now considered "disposable" items. Things like televisions, radios, cell phones, snowblowers :?: If they have a life-time use of under 5 years, they are considered "disposable" items and not "worth" repairing. Makes me wonder if I should change the part of my marketing which builds on the idea of high quality and an item being passed from one generation to the next .... apparently, it's a concept that "they" won't understand. (sigh)

Geri ... I vote for kilnformed or kilnworked, too.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Ron Coleman wrote: I just about split a gut laughing when she told me.

Now the big problem is, What to get the couple that has no taste?

If it's Target they want, it's Target they'll get.

Uncle Scrooge
Some friends of mine bought a glass platter from me to give as a wedding present. When they got to the wedding reception they couldn't find the place to leave gifts. It turned out that in the culture of the bride and groom money was the gift that everybody gave. So they got money and a piece of esoteric artglass.

Ron

You should make them a Target logo bowl with Mica. It would be the cornerstone of their truso.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*