Bisque object with Pate de Verre?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

camaro

Bisque object with Pate de Verre?

Post by camaro »

My question is : If I create a ceramic solid object and fire it to Bisque, and I make a glass paste, can I paint onto the the solid Bisque to create a hollow glass item? Or can someone be so kind as to tell me step by step how to use a glass paste and what they use it on? Wanting to get creative but have no resources.

Thanks
camaro :?
rodney

Post by rodney »

you can go to the archives and put in PATE DE VERRE, and you can go to http://www.google.com and put in PATE DE VERRE, and this will give you lots to look at, im pretty sure

good luck

rodney
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

That won't work. If you simply paint the glass paste onto the outiside of bisqueware, the glass will melt off. Pate de verre requires a lot of steps, and you really should get a book on the subject, but to give you an idea, I'll detail my first small pate de verre item:

1. Used a small bisque bowl as a mold, 5 inches in diameter at the rim, about a 45 degree slope, 3 inches tall. Gave the bowl about 5 coats of glass kiln wash (Bullseye brand).

2. Mixed wallpaper paste with water until smooth (follow package directions for mixing), then mixed the wallpaper paste with medium Bullseye frit. This frit is about the size of sugar granules.

3. Used a spatula to apply the frit paste to the inside of the bowl, from the bottom up. Apply it as evenly as possible. I applied the frit to about 1/4 inch thickness, and tried to keep the rim edges as even as possible; this was challenging.

4. Allow to dry thoroughly. I let it stand for a couple of days, but probably 24 hours would have sufficed.

5. Filled the inside of the pasted glass with talc (available from pottery suppliers) to keep the glass from pooling to the bottom of the mold during firing.

6. Fired it to a typical full fuse fire, but soaked it for 1 hour.

This gave me a nicely formed, simple bowl with a pretty sugary surface. But to do anything interesting you need to learn to make molds out of materials other than bisqueware, as well as using different sizes of frits, how to colour them yourself and the list goes on. Here's an online source with good intro information:

http://www.glassaustralia.anu.edu.au/da ... .data.html

I also recommend "Pate de Verre and the Kiln Casting of Glass" by Dan Fenton and Jim Kervin. Got a copy recently from Whitehouse Books on sale for $36, regular price $45.

Good luck!

Suzan