kiln wash & Etching cream

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tom suter

kiln wash & Etching cream

Post by tom suter »

I know a few months back there was a post about using etching creme to remove kiln wash. I have a panel that is tacked fused on top 17" x 14". It was the 4th of 5 panels and it picked up kiln wash. I scrubbed, not much luck. I put the etching creme on wash off fired it on thin fire back to 1400 (spectrum glass) same as my tack fuse. The results were poor I have a streaky marks from the etching creme. Any suggestions if it would work better if I fired it upside down with the back up to what temp I would have to go to lose the etched surface. I hoping not to lose the tack surface. If so I guess I will fire another new panel :?: Thanks Tom
dee

Re: kiln wash & Etching cream

Post by dee »

tom suter wrote:I know a few months back there was a post about using etching creme to remove kiln wash. I have a panel that is tacked fused on top 17" x 14". It was the 4th of 5 panels and it picked up kiln wash. I scrubbed, not much luck. I put the etching creme on wash off fired it on thin fire back to 1400 (spectrum glass) same as my tack fuse. The results were poor I have a streaky marks from the etching creme. Any suggestions if it would work better if I fired it upside down with the back up to what temp I would have to go to lose the etched surface. I hoping not to lose the tack surface. If so I guess I will fire another new panel :?: Thanks Tom
tom, in the future if you have kiln wash stuck on the back of a piece, soak it in distilled white vinegar for a while - longer the soak, less effort to remove - but to fix your current piece, you may need to sand the back with a diamond abrasive pad and refire on a tack fuse schedule - i have reworked some pieces in this way from undesired marks only i use be glass..
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com