Sandblast prints, stack and fire?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Catharine Newell

Re: Sandblast prints, stack and fire?

Post by Catharine Newell »

Steve Immerman wrote:
Catharine Newell wrote:I have been tackfusing two prefired 24x17x1/4" panels, adding frit detail. I will stack them, add a third, and fuse all three into one 3/4" panel. The middle layer shows fingerprints on the bottom surface (oh, careless me!), which will be quite obvious over the red background behind the figure.

Two questions: 1. Is a light sandblasting on the underside of the middle layer the way to go here to remove the prints? 2. Will the sandblasted surface leave any unexpected effects when the panels are stacked and brought to a full fuse? Common sense tells me no, but...

Lots of hours into this,
Catharine
Catherine,

What ever happened with this piece? Did you sandblast? Did it fix the problem?

Steve

Glad to report remarkably fine results with used Alum. Oxide, via Els' sandblaster. We blasted the surface, I cleaned it thoroughly, stacked the layers over the red and fired to perfection. It worked beautifully and I'm so appreciative of all the input on this subject!

Thanks, all!
Catharine
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Steve and Tony:
From past posts we know that Silicon carbide fractures into ever smaller but still sharp particles. I'd like to compare the physical structure of the abrasives microscopically but that probably won't tell us anything further about how glass becomes fractured. I tried to compare the vertically cut edges from samples blasted with either abrasive and but could not get a good image.
I haven't noticed any hazing problem with the irid sandwich pieces I've seen at Vitrum Studios that were blasted there by students and teachers. They use Aluminum oxide, and if my ship ever comes in, it'll be carrying that compound.
Nikki