Circle-cutting miracle?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

dee

Re: no miracles required!!!!!!!!!!

Post by dee »

Mimi Tarro wrote:This is really silly...........the circle thing.......... I've been cutting 15 1/2" circles............the larger the circle the easier to cut. To clear up all the mystical stuff.............there is NO automatic "circle pop out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cut off any excess glass (more than 2inches) and gently ....with grozing pliers pull out and down GENTLY and just work it all the way around...as you do this, you can watch the score run a bit at a time. This was taught to me by Janet at the resource center..............but with smaller circles. Patty gray has a wonderful tutorial on cutting circles...............oh......by the way I have no "clam shells"............I would however LOVE a clamshell especially by SKUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No physics required......Mimi Tarro
mimi, i'm a tad bit challenged when trying to follow written instructions - i'm a show me girl - i'm not quite getting what you mean by pulling out and down gently with grozing pliers - can you elaborate a bit as i'm having a dense moment?
thanks
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

I use the Morton M-80 to help pop out these circles.

Run the score with your circle cutter, then GENTLE apply pressure to the score with the M-80. Friend turned me onto the M-80, and it's become a real friend.

http://www.stainedglassstylists.com/cat ... 942994.htm
dee

Re: no miracles required!!!!!!!!!!

Post by dee »

Mimi Tarro wrote:This is really silly...........the circle thing.......... I've been cutting 15 1/2" circles............the larger the circle the easier to cut. To clear up all the mystical stuff.............there is NO automatic "circle pop out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cut off any excess glass (more than 2inches) and gently ....with grozing pliers pull out and down GENTLY and just work it all the way around...as you do this, you can watch the score run a bit at a time. This was taught to me by Janet at the resource center..............but with smaller circles. Patty gray has a wonderful tutorial on cutting circles...............oh......by the way I have no "clam shells"............I would however LOVE a clamshell especially by SKUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No physics required......Mimi Tarro
next question mimi - you're using regular grozing pliers or is there some special flavor you use?

thanks
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Strega

Post by Strega »

[quote="KAG"]I use the Morton M-80 to help pop out these circles.

Run the score with your circle cutter, then GENTLE apply pressure to the score with the M-80. Friend turned me onto the M-80, and it's become a real friend.

I read this and I thought "M-80s were illegal in Oregon. Oh, wait, thats a firecracker. Never mind." Nice tool! Thanks!
Strega

Post by Strega »

I learned how to pop'em out with my thumbs from the lady over at Cline. She did one in about 15 seconds, it was magic.
I feel I have more control with my thumbs than with the grossing plyers. The secret is to have padding underneath, like a cloth, cardboard or layers of newspaper. But I always cut the glass down to a tight square first. You turn the glass score side down, and press inside the score with both thumbs, and work around the circle, "pushing" the crack.
I always use oil, but I don't know if it works, because, well, um,I always use it, so I don't have a "control group" to compare!
I think I have the same cutter as Mimi..The brass one with the lever on top of the suction cup and the back knob on the cutter? I love that thing..