How I take my pictures

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Rob Morey

How I take my pictures

Post by Rob Morey »

When I first put up my web site a few people have asked me how I set up for taking pictures. This morning I had to take some quick photos of some pieces that I was taking down to a gallery here in town. I hope this helps. It really is a matter of trial and error. Thank God for Adobe Photoshop. If you don’t have it and don’t want to spend the $600 to get it, a company called Gradware.com (the retail stores are called Graduate Ltd,) will sell it to students for about $200. If you don’t have a student in the house, (or a teacher,) then sign up for an adult ed class at your local school district. It doesn’t matter what you take as long as you are a student. Get some sort of proof and you’re in for a year.

So anyway, here is the link to the site. I hope this works for all you Apple users as my home page still shows up blank on Apple computers.
http://www.ramoreydesign.com/Photosetup.html

Rob
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Rob

Nice setup.

Your home page reads fine on my Macintosh using the Apple "Safari" browser.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

FYI - No problems with your home page on my ibook or G4 both using Explorer. Nice photo setup! What version of PS do you use?
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

Ok, this is weird. I was just down at one of the galleries and I was trying to show off my website, and damn if they didn't have a Mac and the home page had a white background. Great first impression! I need to find some more Mac users, to see if the problem is still happening.

I use Adobe Photoshop 6.0

Rob
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Thanks for the info Rob,

Being new to glass and even newer to photography I can use all the help I can get.

Jon
Jim Wixon

Post by Jim Wixon »

Rob...The RA Morey Design page is good...but the Home page comes up with a white background. The same as a few weeks ago. I have an iMac and use Explorer 5.1
jim
Jim Wixon

Post by Jim Wixon »

Rob...The RA Morey Design page is good...but the Home page comes up with a white background. The same as a few weeks ago. I have an iMac and use Explorer 5.1
jim
Cindy next door

Post by Cindy next door »

Thanks Rob, photos of your set up helps a lot. I am so visually oriented. Since I use a lot of translucent glass that white paper should come in handy. I don't use diffusers right now and your set up seems easy enough to try.

Thanks for sharing,
Cindy next door
Cindy next door
Patricia O'Neill

Post by Patricia O'Neill »

Hi Rob,

Thank you for sharing. Nice set up.
But... what is this paper that you call vellum? I have noticed that people call "vellum" anything papery from transparent to opaque. I would guess this is a paper in-the-between, made to diffuse the light. Could you tell more about it, please.

Also, I would like to add for the people who can't budget $600 for Photoshop (considering that is also a difficult software to learn), it exists a simplified version called "photoshop elements". It has all the features that Photoshop has, in matter of image manipulation, but does not propose the professional features like batch processing. It costs less than $100 and you can download a one month free trial version from the adobe web site.

Patricia