Leveling a kiln on casters

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bev Brandt

Leveling a kiln on casters

Post by Bev Brandt »

I've been reading the kiln installation threads in anticipation of my own kiln. I'm not certain which model I'll get, but it will likely be in the 18" to 24" range. It'll be in my garage and I plan to put it on casters so that I can roll it in a storage area when it's not in use...which I'm thinking will be never, but my husband needs a bit of placating. ("You're not planning on just leaving the car outside all the time, are you?" Why yes. Yes I am.)

Anyway, casters seems like a good idea no matter what. But how does one keep a kiln level if the kiln is on casters? The floor in my garage is not level, I can tell you that. And if the kiln is rolled around, there's not telling if it'll always end up in the same spot, so I'd have to level it after each time I roll it out. Is this a matter of buying some sort of adjustable caster/leg/stand system that I can get at my local Home Despot?

Thanks!

- Bev
Bev Brandt
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Bev,

How about moving the kiln to the convenient spot for firing, leveling the kiln and then placing marks on the floor to record where the casters are located. Then try moving the kin back to the spot to see if it is still properly leveled.

Worth a try.

Cheers,

Bob
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

There are a few ways you could deal with this. Pick the spot that you think it will most likely end up in, and mark the floor. Level it by using shims, then code the shims so you know what kiln leg each one goes to. When you roll your kiln away, and then return you just have to line it up with the floor marks, and put the shims in.
If you won't be able to dedicate a spot on the floor for it, then shim it each time, or go to an auto junk yard and pick up some screw jacks( they're really inexpensive) from almost any model small car. With a little cutting and welding you can make 3 legs of your kiln adjustable and able to be quickly leveled. It might look really weird, but then kilns aren't famous for their beauty.
A third option is to roll the kiln wherever you want, and level the shelves inside.
Good luck.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I marked the floor. Usually Bruce rolls it back to the marks. It works for us.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

Bev, you can get casters that have leveling capability via a threaded stop. Quite similar to the leveling adjustments on the bottom of your washing machine. Ask the folks making the kiln, they can probably supply them with the kiln stand. Also get the type that lock. Good luck....

There is also a thread about 8 back that has some additional good advice on this subject.
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass