the truth

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mark Wilson

the truth

Post by Mark Wilson »

when i buy glass, i know about system 90 and system 96 products like spectrum, uroborous, and bullseye. but there is a lot of types of glass by lots of companies, that is not garrenteed to work. but that does not mean that you can't fuse it, or use it in hot glass, it just means that they don't test for it and provide any warrenty. so has anyone used glass that is not a system 90 glass, and had acceptable results? what type and color?
lyndasglass

Post by lyndasglass »

Mark,
When I frist started fusing I did some fusing of Armstrong and Kokomo glass. I wasn't really happy with the results. Lots of devit. problems. I f you use an over spray, then it may not matter to you. I believe both manufacturers have literature about fusing with their glass.

You certainly can use all different kinds of glass, but you would need to run compatibility test on them first. You can't assume that all the glass in one manufactures product line is compatible either. So you would need to run compatiblity testing on any glass you wanted to use.

I know that the tested compatibles are more expensive, but to me it is worth it, my time has gotten to be pretty valuable lately. Plus they have a wonderful pallet to work with.
Lynda
David Williams

Re: the truth

Post by David Williams »

Mark Wilson wrote:when i buy glass, i know about system 90 and system 96 products like spectrum, uroborous, and bullseye. but there is a lot of types of glass by lots of companies, that is not garrenteed to work. but that does not mean that you can't fuse it, or use it in hot glass, it just means that they don't test for it and provide any warrenty. so has anyone used glass that is not a system 90 glass, and had acceptable results? what type and color?
Hey Mark I've fused armstrong yugygenny kokomo and fremont and most all the german color and Gaffer. I'm not sure if you'll find much if any of that close to 90 but Ornela is an option and also Kugler opaques may fit.
gone

Post by gone »

I'ved used a lot of GNA. Gorgeous clear colors, with no tendency to devit. Gotta watch the lavender and purple though. They tend to be incompatible. I think the COE is around 90, but you have to test of course.

Els
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Els VandenEnde wrote:I'ved used a lot of GNA. Gorgeous clear colors, with no tendency to devit. Gotta watch the lavender and purple though. They tend to be incompatible. I think the COE is around 90, but you have to test of course.

Els
Used Desag Antique 75 since about 1981 or so

4 an update on this look 4 my recent post on Schott

Desag antique 75 is now Magera ( in USA its GNA )
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Like the other posters, I fuse lots of glasses. 90 COE has only been represented by Bullseye and Wasser, so far. If you want to experiment, great! When I started fusing, there wasn't much info on the subject; so, if it was glass, I fused it. I put several things together that aren't supposed to mesh and made them work. That's what ignorance earns you. I didn't know "better". - Barbara