How to install a 52"x76" wall of cast glass w. a s

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

jerry keller

How to install a 52"x76" wall of cast glass w. a s

Post by jerry keller »

I'm just on the cusp of signing a contract to do a cast molded wall 52"x76". It would be sculpted clay, then a plaster/silica mold to put the glass into. My kiln is not anywhere near the size of the opening. I wanted to use metal strips of H channel, or wood to install into the opening. The customer is concerned that the wood would be too large visually, and I'm concerned that the metal, which I cannot seem to locate, would not be strong enough to hold a wall this size together.
Any suggestions on finding H channel, and reinforceemnt for a work this size would be very welcome. Also, any preferences, from those that have had to make this kind of a call?
Carol

Post by Carol »

I've been talking to a welder about types of metal channel to hold multiple panels together as a larger architectural installation. A good welding shop is worth its weight in gold. If you don't like the raw metal look take it to a powder coating shop.
Cindy next door

Post by Cindy next door »

My husband's company does a lot of glass wall panels. I know they work a lot with CR Laurence. They usually call them up and talk with someone about what they need then they get faxed specs on the material.

I do know channel for 1/4" is difficult to find. They did find some for a project which cost an arm and leg.

Hope that helps.

Cindy next door
Cindy next door
Dean Hubbard

Post by Dean Hubbard »

Jerry,
I just came on board today and saw your question about the cast wall.
I know it has been over six months sinse you posted your question, do you still need advice on this matter?
I am a glazing contractor.
If you still need help, let me know how thick the finished casting is at the perimeter edges and what the existing finished opening is (tile, wood, metal, etc.) that it is going to be mounted in.

Dean Hubbard
Last edited by Dean Hubbard on Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bert Weiss

Re: How to install a 52"x76" wall of cast glass w.

Post by Bert Weiss »

jerry keller wrote:I'm just on the cusp of signing a contract to do a cast molded wall 52"x76". It would be sculpted clay, then a plaster/silica mold to put the glass into. My kiln is not anywhere near the size of the opening. I wanted to use metal strips of H channel, or wood to install into the opening. The customer is concerned that the wood would be too large visually, and I'm concerned that the metal, which I cannot seem to locate, would not be strong enough to hold a wall this size together.
Any suggestions on finding H channel, and reinforceemnt for a work this size would be very welcome. Also, any preferences, from those that have had to make this kind of a call?
Jerry

The thickness and weight of the panels is critical to your installation design. I would look to companies that make aluminum frameworks for dalle de verre epoxy panels, like Sussman They are engineered to handle 1" thick epoxy and glass panels that are fairly large. What is your panel size? You might get away with vertical mullions and silicone the glass panels like glass block.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
watershed

Post by watershed »

Something I saw at SOFA. There were 3/4 glass panels stacked, and held together vertically/off the floor, with steel cables. The cables could be hidden in U channels cast into the sections. Even if you didn't want to suspend the whole thing, you could use the cables as a front/back stabilizer.

The cable system is used for hanging shelves and that type of thing.

Greg