Stainless Steel Mold Prep

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

xandra

Stainless Steel Mold Prep

Post by xandra »

Hi 8)
I am trying to prepare a stainless steel floral former for slumping. The directions that came with the mold are not very helpful and don't seem to be working correctly(maybe it's me :cry: ) Does anyone have any suggestions :?: . The directions say to heat to 700 degrees and then either paint or spray on. (It is not sticking very well when I try to paint it on. I also tried dipping it into kiln wash...better but still not to good. The mold is SO :evil: hot :!: ) I don't have a sprayer. :idea: Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alex :lol:
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

You want the floral former hot so that the kiln wash sticks. Before heating, rungh up the surface with sandpaper. Next heat to 500. You can apply the kiln wash with a brush, but the surface wont be so smooth. Should stick real good!
Greg
lissa

Post by lissa »

Hi Alex,

What I do, size permitting, is set my kitchen oven to 500, put the mold in from at the start (I put something under it like an old cookie sheet for ease of maneuvering), let the oven preheat and then hang out for ten minutes or so at 500, then I slide the pan out and brush on my kiln wash. Even just at 500 the first few brush strokes sometime sizzle and spurt off, but I can always manage to get at least a thin first coat, maybe let it sit for 30 secs. or so. Then I pop it back in the oven briefly to dry, and next layer, etc. etc. It gets easier and sizzles off less with each coat, however, you must be very light with the brush or you will pick up and wipe off the bottom layers in spots making the surface uneven. You could give it a try and see if you have better success. Also, you can first lightly 'rough up' the surface to be covered with steel wool or similar abrasive to give the kiln wash something to hold onto.

good luck,

lissa.
lissa

Post by lissa »

Sorry for the redundant info in my above post, Greg's reply went up while I was writing mine.

lissa.
Bert Weiss

Re: Stainless Steel Mold Prep

Post by Bert Weiss »

xandra wrote:Hi 8)
I am trying to prepare a stainless steel floral former for slumping. The directions that came with the mold are not very helpful and don't seem to be working correctly(maybe it's me :cry: ) Does anyone have any suggestions :?: . The directions say to heat to 700 degrees and then either paint or spray on. (It is not sticking very well when I try to paint it on. I also tried dipping it into kiln wash...better but still not to good. The mold is SO :evil: hot :!: ) I don't have a sprayer. :idea: Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alex :lol:
Alex

My routine, which I got from a SS mold company is to heat the steel to 1200ºF. This burns off oils from manufacturing or fingerprints. When it gets down to about 500, the kiln wash will begin to stick when sprayed on. If it is too hot the wash just bounces off. If it is too cool it will drip and run. If the steel is the right temp, the sprayed wash will stick in a nice even layer and dry very fast, before it can drip. If it gets too cool, heat it up a bit more.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Marty

Post by Marty »

700/500 is too hot.

Sandblast or steelwool or emery cloth to give surface a "tooth". Heat to 350F. Spray or brush kilnwash (slightly more diluted if spraying) until wet spots show. Stop and reheat. Repeat spray. Let dry. Slump-n-go (tm).
Brock

Post by Brock »

Marty wrote:700/500 is too hot.

Sandblast or steelwool or emery cloth to give surface a "tooth". Heat to 350F. Spray or brush kilnwash (slightly more diluted if spraying) until wet spots show. Stop and reheat. Repeat spray. Let dry. Slump-n-go (tm).
Moi Mit Marty.

Esperanto Boy
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Vickie

prep stainless steel mold

Post by Vickie »

One easy way is to use your hairdryer. Turn it on, and aim it at your mold. As it gets hot, start to apply your kiln wash, alternate the heat with the kiln wash. You will see your mold start to turn white, as the wash is drying. I have found this to be easier than putting the mold in the kiln, etc.
Vickie
xandra

Post by xandra »

:lol:
Thanks for all of the ideas. I can't wait to try them. I will let you know how I do .Thanks again.
Alex 8)
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

I use my MAPP torch to heat the SS. This burns off any oils (if new mold), and works great for getting the KW to stick. Only takes a minute to two to apply wash, and a few minutes to let the mold cool. (I do this outside of course).

...Kelly
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Ooooh, I like the torch idea.

I put my molds on top of my kiln and I have no clue how hot they get, but they get hot enough to spray on kiln wash, and remain hot enough to get it on with a few swipes with the air brush...but you don't have an air brush. You could try a plant sprayer with very thinned down wash...but that still might clog it up.

For stainless molds I prefer Boron Nitride to kiln wash. It goes on more smoothly, stays on longer than kiln wash (kiln wash will stay on well enough too but is a bit more fugitive), and is easier to apply to hot molds in my experience.

You could try boron nitride if you end up not having fun with primer. It is smooth and milky so shouldn't clog a plant sprayer or atomizer and goes on nicely, smoothly and is very durable once cured.

Just adding more to the mix. Nice to have several options though, eh?
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

Cynthia, I picked up a hand held garden sprayer at Home Depot last year and it works GREAT for kiln wash. It holds about a quart of wash and has a hand pump on top to create pressure to prevent the thing from clogging up. I keep kiln wash in it all the time (just shake it up before use). Hasn't clogged yet.

What is Boron Nitride and where do you get it. Sounds interesting.

...Kelly
Kay

Boron Nitride

Post by Kay »

Cynthia, I'm also interested in the Boron Nitride for SSmolds. Where do you purchase it?
Thank you,
Kay