one layer vs. two

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vickie

one layer vs. two

Post by Vickie »

I am going to make a platter, app 15' using one layer of BE glass, the thick cut. Is this O.K. to do, as opposed to fusing two layers, and then slumping. I've done one layer before, using a smaller mold, and it worked out fine.
Thanks,
Vickie
Vickie

a P.S, to my post

Post by Vickie »

I made a boo-boo...my mold isn't 15 FT, but 15 INCHES....YIKES. If I could do a project 15FT, I'd be famous!!!
Vickie
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

1/4" thick, min., works best.
you might like to check out the tutorial at the top of the page ... lots of great tips in there. also, the Contemporary Warm Glass book is a "must" for studio library -- treat yourself to it, and you'll be a happy camper. when i first got it, i used to look at it nearly every day while i was getting down the basics. still use it, too. kitty.
Cynthia

Re: one layer vs. two

Post by Cynthia »

Vickie wrote:I am going to make a platter, app 15' using one layer of BE glass, the thick cut. Is this O.K. to do, as opposed to fusing two layers, and then slumping. I've done one layer before, using a smaller mold, and it worked out fine.
Thanks,
Vickie
If by the thick cut, you mean the 6mm double rolled, it should be fine. For volume, you want to be about 1/4" or 6mm thick and then it won't pull up...regardless of how many layers it takes to get that thickness.

Too bad it's not 15 feet, we could throw a party on that platter. :wink:
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I have slumped the 4mm thick glass. While it isn't as weighty, if you aren't full fusing it first, it won't pull in/up and shouldn't look too bad. It isn't optimal, but it can work.

barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS