Grinder/Polishers

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Zoe

Grinder/Polishers

Post by Zoe »

Good evening,

I am looking for a large grinder polisher (18 inch diameter).

Is anyone familiar with or has anyone done business with SW Diamond Products in Gorman, California? I was given one of their brochures but haven't found anyone who has done business with them before.

Your comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Zoe
Marty

Post by Marty »

Try hisglassworks.com both for a comparison on high-end machines (don't) and on free plans that you can have a local machinist make up (do).

Remember do-bee and don't bee?

You will save on shipping, advertising etc. if you do it locally.

Email me if you want more info.

Marty
Zoe

Grinder/Polishers

Post by Zoe »

Thanks, Marty,

I will check into that.

Zoe
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

SW has a great grinder. Has the advantage of the water feed coming through the center of the wheel which means you get an even wetting of the grinding disc and with their design, you can use the entire surface of the disk right through the center since they have no post or anything else in the way. Particularly useful if you are working on large pieces. You might consider the fact of not needing to buy as big a machine from them as buying one elsewhere. A 12 inch wheel will let you grind the full width of the wheel evenly wet as compared to perhaps only 5 and a half on a center post model. The smaller magnetic diamond pad wheels cost less than the bigger machine ones. Ask if they have any lubricating system developed for the shaft. Could someone post/private email me their address/contact information as I lost that and my SW machine in a divorce.
Be sure if you buy one, to remove the magnetic diamond disc and to dry the wheel etc. each time after use or you will get rust!
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey guys: funny that your talking about this....
I have an opportunity to buy the following for $600.00 Canadian - should I - don't have a clue about glass polishers.
Thanks for any feedback
Kathie

I have the following cold working equipment for sale

Listed is the retail price on these items

Beaver arbour-----------------------------------------300.00
Two expandable rubber belt holders--------------206.00
1x8 inch diamond-grinding wheel-----------------300.00
1x8 inch aluminums oxide wheel-------------------230.00
aprox forty different grain belts -----------------160.00
3 polishing felt wheels------------------------------125.00
¾ horse motor for arbour------------------------------75.00
New price 1396.00

Selling for 700.00
[/u][/b]
Harry

Post by Harry »

We make a 24" lap wheel with a central water feed for about the price that most pay for a 18" wheel and have been selling them to other artists arround the country. We sell them complete or in kits of parts depending on how much you want to do.
Call John, Waterjet Design 503-615-0144