Kiln Wash Off SS

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Betty

Kiln Wash Off SS

Post by Betty »

I want to apply new wash to stainless steel. But the old won't wash off. it is streakie, not covered well in places and to much in other places. Should i steel wool it off and heat?
Brock

Post by Brock »

If it won't come off pretty easily, don't worry about it. apply right over it. Heat and spray. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Marty

Post by Marty »

Au contraire, mon amie Brock- depends how smooth you want the back of the next piece to be. I'd sandblast or steelwool, then heat-n-spray.
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Agreed, Marty. We use 0000 steel wool to romove the old wash and start over. The finer steel wool won't gouge the metal. - Barbara
Barbara Cashman

Marty wrote:... then heat-n-spray.
PS Marty....what are you using as a spray bottle? We find the regular drugstore ones will clog up quickly, especiallly if we don't clean it out well after using. - Barbara
Marty

Post by Marty »

Badger airbrush with a small, noisy, cheap Sears compressor. Dilute kilnwash 5 or 6 to 1. If clogging persists, filter through pantyhose (only good use for the stuff that I can see!) before spraying.
Barbara Cashman

Marty wrote: If clogging persists, filter through pantyhose (only good use for the stuff that I can see!) before spraying.
With you 110% :!: After having left Corporate America 20 years ago, the only thing I use my leftover pantyhose for is to tie up my tomato plants--the only thing they're really great for! :D Thanks Marty! - BareLegged Barbara
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Barbara,
When you come u[p for the watrm glass weekend you better not cross the border into DC. The conservatives that sit in power there might not look too kindly on it. They might get jealous about your legs or just wnat to control something else.