Help needed with "Milk Glass"

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Glenburn

Help needed with "Milk Glass"

Post by Glenburn »

I am interested in casting with "Milk Glass". I don't know if it is available to purchase anywhere. It is important to the project that an opaque white color glass is used and even better if it is considered milk glass.
If anyone has any knowledge or information, I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Karen
Bert Weiss

Re: Help needed with "Milk Glass"

Post by Bert Weiss »

Glenburn wrote:I am interested in casting with "Milk Glass". I don't know if it is available to purchase anywhere. It is important to the project that an opaque white color glass is used and even better if it is considered milk glass.
If anyone has any knowledge or information, I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Karen
Karen

I once did some tests casting with glass bead. I bought it at an autobody supply as a sandblasting grit. It is a white sandy looking material that is essentially ground glass of a particular particle size and no fines. It casts up as opaque white. It was certainly cheap. Not particularly good looking to me, but it was opaque white and you could certainly call it milk glass and nobody would flinch. I don't remember how I annealed it, but I would suggest casting up a 12" x 1" x .25" bar and do a slump test. Search archives for slump test.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Glenburn

Post by Glenburn »

Bert,
Thanks for replying to my question on "milk glass". Your answer sounds intriguing and right up my alley. I am definately going to try using those glass beads once I find them. Thanks for the tip on a slump test as well.

This was my first time on the bulletin board and I'm delighted to have this as a resource.

Karen
Tim Lewis

Post by Tim Lewis »

Gabbert Cullett (listed on the hot glass board http://www.talk.craftweb.com) has a variety of glasses that are opaque. Give them a call and they will send you sample.
Tim