fusing with float glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lonman

fusing with float glass

Post by Lonman »

When fusing with float glass, which sides are supposed to touch? (tinned to tinned, tinned to untinned or what) And can you fuse with frit, powder and confetti in between the layers?

Thanks
Lonman :twisted:
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

I get the best results fusing float glass by placing the tin side of the bottom layer against the shelf, decorating the air side with whatever I am using, placing the air side of the top layer down against the air side of the bottom layer and coating the top and edges with a borax anti-devit solution. At the temps which I use for fusing float glass is subject to devit or tin bloom on uncoated surfaces. You can use compatible colored glass in any form between the layers of glass along with other suitable paints, copper shapes, mica pigments and whaterer you have that is of the same COE as the float glass.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Jerry

Float Glass

Post by Jerry »

I've never botherd with figuring out which side had the tin and blundered along in my ignorance - SUCCESSFULLY! I use Thompson's Enamel as my design medium and find that even though they advertise a COE of 90, it works quite well on most window glass. However, all float is NOT created equal. The only way to know for sure is to test it.

Good luck,
Jerry