Price points?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Cliff Swanson

Price points?

Post by Cliff Swanson »

Hi all,

I'm in contact with a gallery owner who seems interested in my work. In recent email she asked me what my price points are, and also the retail prices for the work I'd sent pictures representing. I have no idea what price points are, so I can't respond to the inquiry until I know. Anybody?

Thanks,
Cliff
Brock

Post by Brock »

She's looking for a range of prices, and objects. Under $35.00, under $100.00, under $250.00 etc. It's a retailing thang. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Marty

Post by Marty »

Usually they mean a defined price range, as in a good price point for impulse gifts.
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Marty wrote:Usually they mean a defined price range, as in a good price point for impulse gifts.
So, price point is just a fancy way of saying price range?
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Brock wrote:She's looking for a range of prices, and objects. Under $35.00, under $100.00, under $250.00 etc. It's a retailing thang. Brock
Its about the coustomer going in2 gallery thinking I wanna spend $35.00

Etc.

Can B specific 2 a gallery or area

We had a problem of bad sales in one of our galleries

We visited them n found most of the glass in the expensive range

When we suplied that price range we got good sales

We sell more glass above £600.00 n above than the very small pebs

They did not tell me 2 send expensive glass

That info would have been usefull
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Cliff

It would be a good idea to consult with the gallery owner about where he/she thinks the price points should be for your pieces. If you are lucky, they will be higher than you thought. If they are lower, you have to re-evaluate your design or expectations or find a different gallery.

?? since when is a point a range?? LOL
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

It might be interesting to ask the gallery owners what sort of price points they are looking for. If they respond they were looking for items under $20 retail then you'd know you are looking at dealing with a low end gallery. If they respond with higher price points then you know different information about the gallery. Sending the wrong price range items to a gallery won't work for you or the gallery as Brian pointed out. Never send out pricing information until you absolutely have to. Your usually sold cheeeeep item might suddenly have a higher perceived value in a different market/ gallery place. No sense missing that potential by giving out your prices too soon. The gallery you want to deal with should not be concerned with the price. They should just want your work and know that they can sell it because it is soooooo good and their gallery is sooooooo good too. Once your prices are out there, it can be really hard to raise them. Ask the gallery what they think they can get for your work.
There is something called the "love" factor in selling/pricing. If the gallery owner does not love your stuff, don't deal with them as your stuff won't sell. Kevin