Info needed for new glass person

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Peter

Info needed for new glass person

Post by Peter »

I've begun to work with an artist who uses glass in some of her art pieces. She has no experience in firing glass.

I'm a potter with a computerized Skutt kiln and an old L&L switched kiln and I have some glass panels that look like the shelves in medicine cabinets, which I hope can be fired in my kiln using metallic oxides and other colorants. I also have two hollow glass rods that I salvaged from a radiant heater.

Q: I'd like to know if these glasses can be fired.

I've read what I could find in a short time, and one thing that concerns me is that tempered glass can explode in the kiln during firing.

Q: how can I tell if glass is tempered if it's not labeled that it is tempered?

And if anyone has any suggestions as to what to use for color, and any other information that will be useful to me, I'd appreciate the assistance.
Carol

Re: Info needed for new glass person

Post by Carol »

Peter wrote: Q: I'd like to know if these glasses can be fired.

And if anyone has any suggestions as to what to use for color, and any other information that will be useful to me, I'd appreciate the assistance.
Yes, these glasses can be fired but not together...they are likely different COE which makes them incompatible.

Other suggestion...read the tutorials on this site and get a copy of Contemporary Warm Glass, also available here.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

that medicine cabinet glass is probably a lot like louver window glass. i had a ton of that a few years ago, and made a bunch of sushi plates and wasabi dishes, plus chopstick rests. i forget what temp i fired that stuff at ... it was hotter than what i fire Bullseye at. 1600F or so ... something like that. cut a few strips and see what's required to get the result you want. there were no explosions, by the way.

have read posts here about people using Cone 6 glazes and other oxides on float with interesting success ... some very nice painterly results. these were fired a lot hotter, too, and sandwiched, i believe.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Info needed for new glass person

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Peter wrote:I've begun to work with an artist who uses glass in some of her art pieces. She has no experience in firing glass.

I'm a potter with a computerized Skutt kiln and an old L&L switched kiln and I have some glass panels that look like the shelves in medicine cabinets, which I hope can be fired in my kiln using metallic oxides and other colorants. I also have two hollow glass rods that I salvaged from a radiant heater.

Q: I'd like to know if these glasses can be fired.

I've read what I could find in a short time, and one thing that concerns me is that tempered glass can explode in the kiln during firing.

Q: how can I tell if glass is tempered if it's not labeled that it is tempered?

I have posted a lot about colourants

Technicaly there is a lot of similarity with glass 2 ceramics but a lot of difference

Do a search in the archives on oxides look out 4 my posts that will give U others 2

In brief oxides will give bubbles in the glass

Try metal powders + flux

Colin Lowe has done a book whick may assist U

:sheep: