Packaging my jewellery

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

shasta

Packaging my jewellery

Post by shasta »

i hope this is a relavent question for this board. i want to package my necklaces from a piece of mylar and i want to have i think it is called either and eyelet or grommet on the mylar to hang on a display to reinforce the hole. i'm having a hard time finding anywhere on the net that sells this in bulk or wholesale. does anyone else use these in there packaging? i hope this makes sense to you...

thanks very much. diana
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

you buy a grommet setter at fabric stores. the grommets come in a couple of sizes, and you probably want the bigger of what they've got available.

have you attached a necklace to the mylar display card and hung it up for a few days to test for sagging? might be good to test for 2 weeks, actually, since that's how long jewelry might take to sell.

alternative to setting grommets, which sometimes don't set well and you have to throw that attempt away, is to insert a thin piece of plastic or light cardstock or cardboard up at the top of your folded display card, and then punch a hole thru the mylar and reinforcing paper or plastic insert. my earring cards are 2-1/2" wide and 7" long. after they're folded in half, they're 3-1/2" tall, obviously. i make them out of card stock, and for the stores that have my display rack, i find that the punched hole at the top works.