Newbie Question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cadia

Newbie Question

Post by cadia »

First question is - Is this question in the right forum???
The real question is :
I am approaching the cusp of diving into warm glass - no experience yet
just interest. I am thinking of buying the smallest kiln for my first learning phase - hopefully to make "smaller" mistakes at less expense- starting with "jewelry" type pieces before buying a bigger kiln to then learn bigger.
What does anybody think of this plan.
Thank you !
cadia (in Maine!)
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

First get Brad's book. Second if you can I would recommend taking a beginning fusing class if there is one offered in your area. This will give you a good overall exposure to what you can do with fusing. Then there are a multitude of small starter kilns out there. Probably the biggest question is to decide if you want one with a computer controller or an infinite switch. The computer controllers cost more but you can repeat your cycles easier and I think have much better control, especially for a beginner, so you should be able to get better results sooner. An infinite switch works fine but you have to watch it. You will probably learn faster what to look for when you look at your glass with an infinite switch as this is what you need to do to be sure your cycles are complete. I'm lazy and I went for the computer control. Others work with infinite switch and get fantastic results. I think it is kind of like "Chevy's" vs "Ford's" . What ever you think you will feel more comfortable with.

Welcome aboard

Phil
cadia

thank you for replying Phil!

Post by cadia »

I just found that classes are available at Ugotglass (link on warmglass site) and I am thinking of taking the Aug 9 and Aug 10 class - they are just an hour from me ! Do you those classes sound helpful?
Sonje

Post by Sonje »

Cadia,

I took my first fusing glass with Nancy at UGotGlass last October! She'll teach you the ins and outs too! I found it to be well worth it! She can also get you started with the supplies and glass. Just be careful, it can be addictive! :D She's probably the closest to you too! There are several of us in southern Maine if you're down in the Portland area!

Sonje, enjoying the 38th Anniversary Yarmouth Clam Festival! Luckily, there's no Miss Clam!
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Cadia, I started with a simple Paragon Quickfire two and a half years ago. I had no controller so I babysat the kiln. I learned a lot about glass from the kiln, from reading this board and Brad's book (mostly from this board and the book), and from a few classes I took. A year ago I started firing in a big kiln. Your idea sounds like a great start to me. And read away, you will learn lots!

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Diane

Post by Diane »

\:D/ YIPPEE our Maine group is GROWING.
Welcome
Diane, Kennebunkport