packaging

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Ann Demko

packaging

Post by Ann Demko »

Well this is such a base question, but I want to get your all's opinions. How do you send off your bowls, other works of art with stands, and flat disks at outdoor arts and craft shows? My bowls can be up to 15" and I recently had a 9"art disk with one of Dick Kolpacks great stands leave my side in two plastic bags wrapped with copious amounts of bubble wrap. I still worried that the pkgs would clank and the glass would chip while the clients browsed around at the other booths. I know that after it leaves me it is their responsibility, but it was my first strictly art sculpture and I love it and didn't want anything to happen to it. If you take boxes to fit every occasion you'd have to have a humongous inventory of boxes, since they usually are purchased in a minimum quantity. Also, hauling them around would take up mucho room in my limited Explorer. Are plastic bags and bubble wrap OK or should I be more professional and have boxes for each piece? Ann
Marty

Post by Marty »

Base question, indeed.

You can get away with bubble wrap for the stands but I would have a box for every piece of glass. If you pack only as many boxes as the number of pieces you bring, and you leave them flat, they won't take up that much room. Most pkg distributors require that you purchase a "bundle" of each size, could be 10 or 25. How about the multifold boxes- one size folds in several places?
Get big self-stick labels made to identify your boxes. Make handles with packing tape.
I also offer to hang on to wrapped purchases until the buyers are done at the show- minimizes chances for accidents.
Ann Demko

Post by Ann Demko »

thanks Marty. I was thinking a minimum box order would be in the range of 100 boxes per size. I'll look into it for sure. And thanks for the handle idea. Ann
Cindy next door

Post by Cindy next door »

Marty wrote: How about the multifold boxes- one size folds in several places?
Is that a box that can make different sizes? I haven't run across those kind, where do you find them?

Also, I'm taking a few pieces out for my first gallery delivery. Should those be in boxes too?
Cindy next door
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Is that a box that can make different sizes? I haven't run across those kind, where do you find them?

Hi Cindy -

I have a catalog here that offers boxes that do this. I think it's called Uline, but you can see if anything they have will work for you. They carry all sorts of shipping supplies, boxes, bags, bubbles, etc.