Air Brush recomendations

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lauralei

Air Brush recomendations

Post by Lauralei »

Can you share recomendations for air brush brands? I want to use it primarily for spraying mica powders and enamels?
thanks !
Lauralei
robertb

Post by robertb »

Hi Lauralei, I recently purchased the aztec as suggested by Avery Anderson have not used it yet .
robert
robert
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

I plan on buying an airbrush soon, and I would also buy the Aztek, as recommended by Avery. In addition, I would buy it from Brad Walker - his price is hard to beat!

Pat
Lauralei

Post by Lauralei »

I thought I read somewhere that she had recomended that brand, but I couln't find it in any archived posts.. Can you tell me what model you got? thanks
Lauralei
Carol

Post by Carol »

Aztec 4709

Did you look in the old Archives? There's tons of info in there.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

The Aztek that Avery uses and recommends is the Aztek A4709. It's a top of the line model and the only one I carry or sell: http://www.warmglass.com/Aztek.htm
robertb

Post by robertb »

Brad Walker wrote:The Aztek that Avery uses and recommends is the Aztek A4709. It's a top of the line model and the only one I carry or sell: http://www.warmglass.com/Aztek.htm
That's the one I have :D
robert
charlie

Post by charlie »

Brad Walker wrote:The Aztek that Avery uses and recommends is the Aztek A4709. It's a top of the line model and the only one I carry or sell: http://www.warmglass.com/Aztek.htm
not to anger the board moderator, but they come up on ebay a lot. i managed to get a brand new one for about $60, but i had to participate in a LOT of auctions to get one at that price. the only thing is that it didn't include the videotape that is supposed to come with it.

there's not too much risk that you can receive a broken one. the manufacturer has a lifetime guarantee on them. if it ever doesn't work, you send it in and they fix/rebuild it for free.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

$60 is a great price, Charlie, and less than I pay for them as a distributor. And you're right about the lifetime guarantee, it's a great feature.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I saw in an airbrush magazine that aztek was making a metal-bodied version of the 4709. Sort of an upscale Delorean version.

I love my badger 100LG for glass paint. I have a aztek 4709 too that works fine for most things.
Carol

aztecs and kiln wash

Post by Carol »

Do y'all use your aztecs for spraying kiln wash? I sprayed a ss bowl using the coarsest tip in the kit and it seemed to plug up a lot. I mixed the kiln wash thinner than usual. Any thoughts?
charlie

Re: aztecs and kiln wash

Post by charlie »

Carol wrote:Do y'all use your aztecs for spraying kiln wash? I sprayed a ss bowl using the coarsest tip in the kit and it seemed to plug up a lot. I mixed the kiln wash thinner than usual. Any thoughts?
yes. thin it more than usual, use higher pressure (i use 80-85 psi), and i use the white tip. different tips have different shaped or size orifices.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Carol wrote:Do y'all use your aztecs for spraying kiln wash? I sprayed a ss bowl using the coarsest tip in the kit and it seemed to plug up a lot. I mixed the kiln wash thinner than usual. Any thoughts?
I tried spaying kiln wash with my el cheapo Paasche external feed. It sprayed-on, but it resulted in a wierd surface texture. Comparable to good watercolor paper. It was ceramic-store-bought kiln wash. Looked like the droplets dried before they hit the shelf and sort of dusted it, but the coating doesn't fall off. Kind of micropebbly (hey I like that word ...(tm)).

Do you kiln wash sprayers usually get a surface as smooth as with a haik brush?
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

db wrote:
I tried spaying kiln wash with my el cheapo Paasche external feed. It sprayed-on, but it resulted in a wierd surface texture. Comparable to good watercolor paper. It was ceramic-store-bought kiln wash. Looked like the droplets dried before they hit the shelf and sort of dusted it, but the coating doesn't fall off. Kind of micropebbly (hey I like that word ...(tm)).

Do you kiln wash sprayers usually get a surface as smooth as with a haik brush?
I'm using an airbrush for kilnwash and you do get a grainy texture like fine sand. You can rub it smooth with your palm if you want a finer finish.

Better than a brush finish? Maybe not, but no brush marks. Not nearly as fast either, considering the cleanup time. So why do I spray? I like the grainy finish.

Ron
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I use an automotive detail gun for spaying kilnwash... it works great but you have to deal with the overspray.

For spraying micas, I use the top of the line Aztek, the bottom of the line Aztek and a couple of different Badger siphon airbrushes... they all do a good job, but I really like the Azteks because you can spray straight down with them.

The bottom of the line Aztek is about $100 cheaper than the top of the line, but takes a little getting used to. It's just a single action and not as ergonomically designed... but it uses the same tips and bottles.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Al Bray

Post by Al Bray »

Not sure if you have a Michaels Arts & Crafts Crafts in your area or not....But this past Saturday I was shopping at the one here in Lansing Michigan and was surprised to see that they had the Aztec A4709 Clearanced out for 60.00. I couldn't believe my eyes and thought for sure it was a different model and didn't pick one up.

But after remembering this thread and confirming the model number, I think I am going to go back this afternoon and pick one up so when I get to the point of trying enamels and micas, I will have it available.

- Al
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Al,

I saw the same model on clearance here in Massachusetts... they must be eliminating that model from the chain.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Al Bray

Even Lower Price on Aztec Air Brush

Post by Al Bray »

Tony Smith wrote:Al,

I saw the same model on clearance here in Massachusetts... they must be eliminating that model from the chain.

Tony
Today I went back to pickup the A4709 kit from Michaels before the three they had last weeksold out. Fortunately, they had one left and it was marked down even further...$40.00. The complete brand new, never been opened kit for $40.00. What a deal!

Now to find some enamels that I can use with System 96 glass..
Bert Weiss

Re: Even Lower Price on Aztec Air Brush

Post by Bert Weiss »

Al Bray wrote:
Tony Smith wrote:Al,

Tony
Today I went back to pickup the A4709 kit from Michaels before the three they had last weeksold out. Fortunately, they had one left and it was marked down even further...$40.00. The complete brand new, never been opened kit for $40.00. What a deal!

Now to find some enamels that I can use with System 96 glass..
Al

Any enamels that are finely ground will fit on system 96. The enamel layer is so thin that compatibility is not an issue. Float 90 or 96.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

Michael's stores are liquidating their stock of Azteks and selling them off at $40. One girl says she even got an additional price reduction at the counter and ended up with a $20.00 price tag. I got mine for $40.00 last week. Scoot out to your local Michael's and be sure they look in the back room. That's where they found mine after they'd said they didn't have any.
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)