Bell kiln pix

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

KILN-TEC

Bell Kiln Pix

Post by KILN-TEC »

Bert:
I have been firing with converted ceramic brick kilns. After I finish annealing (on the cool down), I go slow (depends) till I hit 750 and then shut off the kiln. Bricks hold heat for a naturally slow cool down.
When I build my Fiber Kiln, should I monitor the cool down to room temperature? (just to be safe?)
thanks,
Rich KILN-TEC
Brock

Post by Brock »

My fibre kilns cool slowly enough that iI never have to worry about thermal shock, but if you're firing with a controller anyway, I would probably monitor your new kiln at first. The larger the fibre kiln, the more likely it will cool too fast. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Bert Weiss

Re: Bell Kiln Pix

Post by Bert Weiss »

KILN-TEC wrote:Bert:
I have been firing with converted ceramic brick kilns. After I finish annealing (on the cool down), I go slow (depends) till I hit 750 and then shut off the kiln. Bricks hold heat for a naturally slow cool down.
When I build my Fiber Kiln, should I monitor the cool down to room temperature? (just to be safe?)
thanks,
Rich KILN-TEC
I have a program segment that goes from 700 - 300 and the controller always goes to zero output somewhere in that zone.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
KILN-TEC

Bell Kiln Pix

Post by KILN-TEC »

I would like to thank everyone for their help!
About Computer Interface- My Bartlett set-up can monitor up to ten kilns.You do need a separate controller for each kiln. Their "KISS" software displays current "program ,set point, firing time, each zone if multi-zone. You can acces all functions from your computer, i.e. Start-Stop, etc. Data can be collected for viewing or graphing. My kilns are in the basement and my office is on the second floor. I can monitor my kilns without running up & down the stairs.
Rich KILN-TEC
Jack Bowman

Re: Bell Kiln Pix

Post by Jack Bowman »

KILN-TEC wrote:I would like to thank everyone for their help!
About Computer Interface- My Bartlett set-up can monitor up to ten kilns.You do need a separate controller for each kiln. Their "KISS" software displays current "program ,set point, firing time, each zone if multi-zone. You can acces all functions from your computer, i.e. Start-Stop, etc. Data can be collected for viewing or graphing. My kilns are in the basement and my office is on the second floor. I can monitor my kilns without running up & down the stairs.
Rich KILN-TEC
How much does this software cost? Do you know if it will work with other brands of computer interfaced controllers? Such as a CAL9500p? CAL's software seems a bit pricey.

Jack
KILN-TEC

Bell kiln pix

Post by KILN-TEC »

Jack:
Don't quote me but I think the Bartlett KISS controller software is in the $350-375 range, my version is a couple years old now. It will only run Bartlett circuit boards (same thing with Orton.s software).
Dave Bartlett was kind enough to donate the software to me as I have worked on thousands of kilns in the last ten years, and give them a lot of feedback from my customers. What I like about Bartlett is that they listen and then incorporate the good ideas in their next upgrade.
Bartlett also make their controllers with other company names on them, ie: Skutt Kilnmaster,L&L Dynatrol,previous versions of Paragon (now using Orton).
Rich Edelman KILN-TEC
http://www.kilntec.com