Moving

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

smcgypsea

Moving

Post by smcgypsea »

Does anyone have suggestions on packing/moving a home studio for temporary storage? Recently sold the house, now facing packing 20 yrs of s*&t, and a home studio. Have no IDEA where Im moving to, hence "temporary storage".

Thanks,
Stacy
Bert Weiss

Re: Moving

Post by Bert Weiss »

Hey how do you delete a post?
Last edited by Bert Weiss on Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

smcgypsea wrote:Does anyone have suggestions on packing/moving a home studio for temporary storage? Recently sold the house, now facing packing 20 yrs of s*&t, and a home studio. Have no IDEA where Im moving to, hence "temporary storage".

Thanks,
Stacy
Stacy

Start with a dumpster then self storage unit.

When I moved last, they had "big trash" day where you could put stuff on the sidewalk. First the pickers would scavange stuff, then the city hauled it all away. I had about a blocks worth of junk on the sidewalk. I lucked out with the timing as it coincided with my move.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

smcgypsea wrote:Does anyone have suggestions on packing/moving a home studio for temporary storage? Recently sold the house, now facing packing 20 yrs of s*&t, and a home studio. Have no IDEA where Im moving to, hence "temporary storage".

Thanks,
Stacy
I can tell you what I did...but my temporary storage was really temporary...moving from a commercial studio space back into a home studio, necessitating me to store the studio stuff for less than a month.

First off, I sorted and trashed or sold everything I didn't need to keep to lighten the load. Lots of stuff went into the dumpster. It's amazing what kinds of things I keep thinking I might use it. :-s

The most difficult thing to think about moving was sheet glass and finished work.

Anyway, what I did was to pack all of my sheets of glass back into the shipping crates from previous shipments received. I usually have two or three around that are waiting for me to break them down for disposal. I save the packing papers and styrofoam sheets that my wholesaler packs the glass with for buffering and separating the sheets from one another, and reuse them for shipping work...or in this case, repacking the glass for moving or storage. I packed the smaller sheets of cut glass similarly, but in cardboard boxes cut down to accept about 10 sheets, then taped with instructions on the box to keep it oriented UP, so the glass remains on edge. It's less prone to breakage if it's packed snugly together and on edge. Buffer the edges of the glass with styrofoam. Scraps remained in tupperware type boxes that can stack, which is how I keep them organized in the studio anyway. Box up your tools seperately from oils, solvents, chemicals and mark the outsides of the boxes accordingly so you know what is what without having to open up the boxes.

The kilns were too heavy for me to move on my own...so I had to hire a moving company to move the big coffin kiln, but was able to get a few friends and family to help with the crates of glass and small brick kiln. The rest of the furnishings and boxes I was able to move on my own, car load by car load to the storage unit, and eventually to my home studio.

I hired a local moving company to move the big kiln and they charged me about $100.00 to move it...about what a piano costs to move.

Any chemicals I had that needed protection from extreme temps were stored with a glassy friend in his studio until I needed them.

Hope some of the approaches I took to moving and storage are helpful to you in your situation.

Best wishes for a smooth transition.
Dani

Post by Dani »

I recently had a similar dilemma and had several weekends of yard sales that included everything from household and clothing items to tools, glass, and onesies and twosies. I unloaded a huge amount of stuff for several thousand dollars, took the remaining good stuff to the rescue mission and Goodwill, and the remainder to the waste transfer station. Oh, and gave away stuff to artist friends. Being the environmentalist that I am, not much went into the landfill and I felt much lighter and richer to boot! It was grand fun! :D
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Bert Weiss wrote:Hey how do you delete a post?
Bert -

See at the top of the post where it says "Quote" and "Edit" and then a little x in a box. Click on the little x in the box to delete your post. It will prompt you to make sure that's what you want to do. Click on Yes and bingo, your post will be gone.

Geri
Marty

Post by Marty »

Rent storage containers (assuming you've got a place to park them).
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Geri Comstock wrote:
Bert Weiss wrote:Hey how do you delete a post?
Bert -

See at the top of the post where it says "Quote" and "Edit" and then a little x in a box. Click on the little x in the box to delete your post. It will prompt you to make sure that's what you want to do. Click on Yes and bingo, your post will be gone.

Geri
I get no X in a box???
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Bert, I'm stumped.

I get the X-in-a-box on messages I've posted on boards on this site even when I'm not the moderator. I wonder if it had to do with the settings I used when setting up my account...Hmmmm. Have you looked at those for you account?

If that's not it, this would get a good question for the board on this site where you can ask questions about how the board works.

Geri
K Okahashi

Post by K Okahashi »

Stacy,
Having been in transition for WAY too long myself, all I can say off the top is "Bless you my child." [-o< Seriously though....

1. Allow for more time than you think you will need to move and move again.
2. Take on storage that will be a bit more than you think you need. Keeping personal stuff on one side (or even a different locker) and glass on another.
3. Don't take on any more commissions, unless you are truly psychic and know EXACTLY where things are. (I just finished a sg commission yesterday and I spent more time looking for my tools...found some in this box, found some in that box...and to think I get excited organizing!)
4. Let your retail customers know you may have lapses where you won't have all your marbles for a while. One marble lost is not bad, when you get into higher numbers, see your doctor.

We went from a 3 bed/2 bath home with a 400 sq. foot studio to a 2 bed apartment. We did this solely to prove to ourselves we can downsize during the transition. What were we THINKING?! #-o Or perhaps, we weren't thinking at all. We are now moving next week to a 3 bed/2 bath with 900 sq. ft studio and believe me, it won't be soon enough.

Good luck and happy trails!
smcgypsea

moving

Post by smcgypsea »

WOW!!! your story is/not very encouraging, that is probably what we are going to end up doing, 2 br apt. and probably no "studio" area...We have a month to pack and move...We are but aren't looking forward to purging all this stuff. It'll be great not to have to keep this stuff, but going thru it and deciding is the agonizing part.

We've just got to buckle in and push the go button...any minute now...wah hoooooo
[/quote]
smcgypsea

moving

Post by smcgypsea »

Thanks for everyones advice!!! y'all are great!

Can't wait to see y'all at the wgw in sept.

THat will make moving go by quicker, maybe.

thanks,
stacy 8)