little viewer slides vs big screen slides

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

stargazer

little viewer slides vs big screen slides

Post by stargazer »

Hi, this may be an odd question but here goes. I have seen our slides in our little viewer with a loop. But I am wondering about how much different slides look when they are projected. I have never seen ours projected. Are there qualities that I should watch out for and qualities that are desireable when selecting slides for projection?? We do some large bowls that have some funky (not straight, not complete on purpose) lines on them that look great on the peices and on the slides when viewing thru the little viewer but I am thinking that these funky lines projected might be a little too funky. And we have two photographers . . . one uses a spray to knock out some of the glare which leaves some pieces looking dull . . . the other one leaves the glare which to my eye makes the work look brighter, richer, and depthier. How does glare look projected?? Ok, there it is. Thank you for your help. Sheryl
afilloon

Re: little viewer slides vs big screen slides

Post by afilloon »

cephas wrote:Hi, this may be an odd question but here goes. I have seen our slides in our little viewer with a loop. But I am wondering about how much different slides look when they are projected. I have never seen ours projected. Are there qualities that I should watch out for and qualities that are desireable when selecting slides for projection?? We do some large bowls that have some funky (not straight, not complete on purpose) lines on them that look great on the peices and on the slides when viewing thru the little viewer but I am thinking that these funky lines projected might be a little too funky. And we have two photographers . . . one uses a spray to knock out some of the glare which leaves some pieces looking dull . . . the other one leaves the glare which to my eye makes the work look brighter, richer, and depthier. How does glare look projected?? Ok, there it is. Thank you for your help. Sheryl

We’ve found that there is quite a difference between seeing a slide through a loop or small handheld viewer and seeing them projected. When projected, minor, or undetectable flaws when seen through a loop are enlarged hundreds of times and grab the eye.
Allen
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Today I bought a kodak slide projector with zoom on ebay. Now I will be able to check out my slides before sending them to the jury. Thank you very much for your help. Sheryl
charlie

Re: little viewer slides vs big screen slides

Post by charlie »

cephas wrote:Hi, this may be an odd question but here goes. I have seen our slides in our little viewer with a loop. But I am wondering about how much different slides look when they are projected. I have never seen ours projected. Are there qualities that I should watch out for and qualities that are desireable when selecting slides for projection?? We do some large bowls that have some funky (not straight, not complete on purpose) lines on them that look great on the peices and on the slides when viewing thru the little viewer but I am thinking that these funky lines projected might be a little too funky. And we have two photographers . . . one uses a spray to knock out some of the glare which leaves some pieces looking dull . . . the other one leaves the glare which to my eye makes the work look brighter, richer, and depthier. How does glare look projected?? Ok, there it is. Thank you for your help. Sheryl
about the only thing different that projection does is that the images are bigger. :lol:

i've done some photo shoots for magazines and also been involved with judging slides for photo contests. you can't use a loope or viewer for examining slides unless you're very experienced in what to look for in slides.

the nicer parts look nicer, but the bad parts look worse. ime, anything that is a flaw will jump out at you when projected. try to get the largest image you can to prejudge your slides.
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Today, for the first time, I looked at our slides projected very large. Some slides that looked fine thru the loop looked terrible when projected. Whole areas of the slide were "grayed out". We had been using two photographers. One of the photographer's slides of our work still look excellent when projected. The other photographer's work had consistent flaws. Some of our work looked bad and was difficult to understand when projected. Some of our work looked GREAT! I am soooo glad we bought a slide projector. It will pay for itself very quickly.