Mixing it with the best...any clues

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

This is the OPERATOR, and this whole operation smells like COPYRIGHT VIOLATION to me.

Don't you guys think you should ask permission before copying other peoples work? If the CD is copy protected it is for a reason and so would be the printed material contained on the CD.
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Ron,
It says right in the preface that you can distribute it for educational purposes and gives people the right to make copies.
j.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Looks like you're in the clear
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Ron Coleman wrote:Looks like you're in the clear
I have not seen this CD

I was not consulted neither was another UK caster person who should have been

There view was that some of the info was like

Form this small test we expect a big casting 2 behave in the same way

This is not correct

So use the info but take care if U scale up

It is rather odd that the info is no longer availabble

Brian
Erik Brown

Post by Erik Brown »

Ron Coleman wrote:Looks like you're in the clear
Well, then, I guess there's no harm going public with the following:

I think this should work. If you or a friend have a Linux system with a CD burner and a copy of The Precious, you should be able to make copies with these steps. The device references are for my system at home. Your Linux person should know their setup well enough to make adjustments. Also, if they have an IDE burner instead of a SCSI burner, they may need to turn on SCSI emulation (ide-scsi) if it isn't already done.

1. dd if=/dev/cdrom of=theprecious.img bs=1024 count=800000

Now, I have deliberately specified more blocks than I would expect on an ordinary CD. I get errors once I go past the actual data on the CD. They are harmless and so far all the images have been fine.

2. cdrecord -scanbus

If you haven't used cdrecord before you might not know the (bus,target,lun) triplet for your burner. This command should give you that.

3. cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,6,0 -data theprecious.img

This should create a new copy of the CD. Repeat step 3 for as many CDs as you like. I have used a speed my drive is capable of (yes, it's old). I encountered a situation at work where burning too fast on some brands of CD seemed to cause a problem in that the copies were unreadable on some systems. Burning at a slower rate seemed to fix it. Your mileage may vary. The 0,6,0 is the triplet obtained from step 2.

I am willing to make a set of copies. I am also interested in getting a copy however they are produced.

Erik
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!
Just tell us how much you need to defray costs... and where to send it!
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Erik Brown

Post by Erik Brown »

PDXBarbara (Bader) wrote:YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!
Just tell us how much you need to defray costs... and where to send it!
Barbara
While there has been some expressed interest (1220), I don't think there are enough people interested to make it worth trying to collect micropayments. So, if you all can agree (East) on who will send their copy, send me one source CD (Main). I will make copies (Road) for anyone who sends me a postage-paid (Portsmouth) self-addressed CD mailer (Rhode) (or whatever you are (Island) comfortable with getting your copy back in). (02871)

Hopefully the bold address above will be easy enough for people to pick out without automated harvesters getting an address to send paper spam to.

Erik Brown
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

You're clever, Eric....

I don't have a copy or I'd send it to you. I'll send you a PM w/ my address, etc.

You're lovely for offering to do this. Any way to return the favor?

Barbara
Barbara Bader
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Well this copy I have isn't technically mine so I have to check w/ my studio mate to see if it is ok with him...

Also, as brian said, "So use the info but take care..." I've talked to some other serious casters who have said yes it is good info but it's not the bible or anything. If anything it shows how much work it would be for anyone to document what is going on in the casting arena and what results people are getting with various materials.

Be back soon.
j.
Erik Brown

Post by Erik Brown »

PDXBarbara (Bader) wrote:You're clever, Eric....

I don't have a copy or I'd send it to you. I'll send you a PM w/ my address, etc.

You're lovely for offering to do this. Any way to return the favor?

Barbara

Thanks, but all the helpful free advice from the WGBB is favor enough. Also, it is a way to see that information that some people may find useful isn't locked away because the people that published it have abandoned it. You may wish to check out this short story:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html

Be warned: you can spend a lot of time browsing the philosophy section of http://www.gnu.org!

Erik
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Erik:
Maybe there is more than one version? I have the CD and some time ago made a couple of back-up copies on my regular PC CD burner. I just checked them and they appear to be no different from the original.
Nikki
brenpage

Post by brenpage »

Hi all
Sorry I dropped out of the tread for awhile, I've been busy planting a veggie garden and playing in a new studio.
So I'm sending a prepaid post-pack to Erik? Maybe will a little treasure inside!! (no not veggies)
Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions. I have also heard mixed responses to the CD but I think any info is better than none...I'm kind of sick of re-inventing the wheel over here!!
Thank you very much Erik
Cheers Brenda
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Nikki O'Neill wrote:Erik:
Maybe there is more than one version? I have the CD and some time ago made a couple of back-up copies on my regular PC CD burner. I just checked them and they appear to be no different from the original.
Nikki
Say Nikki... if it helps us all to get our mitts on the mysterious mixing cd.... & if you're comfortable with it... I'd be glad to do the burning & mailing... but you'd have to mail me the cd.

However, I don't know if someone's already sending one to Eric or whatever.... Don't want to complicate getting this accomplished, so let me know Eric & Nikki....

Barbara
Barbara Bader
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Good morning Barbara!
We can work something out; I sent you an e-mail.
Nikki
Erik Brown

Post by Erik Brown »

Nikki>>>
Erik:
Nikki<<<

That's possible. Or the software Brock had access to couldn't or wouldn't handle something on his copy of the CD, or something was wrong with the blank CD so that the copy failed, etc. Without being there (and since I don't run Windows) I can only guess.

Brenda>>>
Hi all

Sorry I dropped out of the tread for awhile, I've been busy planting a veggie garden and playing in a new studio.
<<< Brenda

I am jealous on both counts. I have been working 7 days a week for over two and a half months now at my day job, with a couple of weeks of 14-hour days in the middle. I HAD taken several excellent classes at Metro West Stained Glass in Massachusetts, including a wonderful one-week course with Brock and Avery. The power company had the wrong address (they actually had the wrong town), and when I corrected it I never heard from them again. So I have a kiln in my garage I haven't been able to use yet. Then this killer project popped up in my day job.....

Brenda>>>
So I'm sending a prepaid post-pack to Erik? Maybe will a little treasure inside!! (no not veggies)
Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions. I have also heard mixed responses to the CD but I think any info is better than none...I'm kind of sick of re-inventing the wheel over here!!
Thank you very much Erik
Cheers Brenda
<<< Brenda

Wow, thanks! Although, you should hold off until we determine who's going to part (for a bit) with their copy, and who's going to do the duplicating.

Barbara>>>
Say Nikki... if it helps us all to get our mitts on the mysterious mixing cd.... & if you're comfortable with it... I'd be glad to do the burning & mailing... but you'd have to mail me the cd.

However, I don't know if someone's already sending one to Eric or whatever.... Don't want to complicate getting this accomplished, so let me know Eric & Nikki....

Barbara
<<< Barbara

So far, no takers on sending me the CD. In the time that it has taken me to type this (and provide phone support to the folks at work before actually going in there today...grrrrrr) it looks like you and Nikki may have already worked something out. I am still willing to help, but everyone should hold off until we hear from Barbara and Nikki.

Erik
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Sorry to drop out on this. Isabell ran through and mussed up alll my toys.
I still haven't talked with the cds actual owner yet; Isabell mussed his toys too...
j.
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Erik Brown wrote:Nikki>>>
it looks like you and Nikki may have already worked something out. I am still willing to help, but everyone should hold off until we hear from Barbara and Nikki.

Erik
OK.. now that Isabel's history... here's the deal:
Nikki's sending me the cd. I will make copies. Send me an email if you want to participate. I'll tell you where to send the stamped self-addressed return envelope.

Best,
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

PDXBarbara (Bader) wrote:
jerry flanary wrote: someone can print it out on their printer and easily make photocopies to send around...
Who wants to sit at their computer and read anyway. Krike, thats for losers! :roll:
j.
How many pages would the printout involve? If it's not tooooo many, the printout could be scanned & either dropped onto cds or emailed. That's a lot of paper & mailing if it's long, and if a bunch of us want it... (I do!)

How much to defray costs?

Barbara
If the material is printable then your best bet is to find someone who can print-to-PDF...and then throw the PDF onto a CD.
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Paul Tarlow wrote: then throw the PDF onto a CD.
hi Paul... I plan to throw it exactly like that!
BB
Barbara Bader
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

I've got a list of folks who want the MIWTB cd... This is just so everyone knows that as soon as I receive the cd master, and your SASEs... I'm on my way.

If you haven't heard from me, please try again, or post through the board..I'm having weirdo problems with my email.... People aren't receiving them (seems random), but they do NOT bounce back to me as undeliverable. I have no idea what the problem is.... nor do I know who's been getting my emails. This started happening in August. I've found out some of the screwups simply because a) I've wondered why I didn't hear back from people (including clients!) and b) folks've gotten pissed off at me.

Best,
BB
Barbara Bader