Honesty in Applying to Shows

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Andrew

Honesty in Applying to Shows

Post by Andrew »

Ok Sages. Here is what happened. When I apply to shows, I send in slides of unique bowls or clocks, or vases. It is all fused glass basically using the same techniques, styles etc. At shows, I rarely sell any of those beautiful pieces which are priced in the 100 - 300 range. Probably 90% of what I sell is in the under $35 range.

The point is this. What I primarily sell is not what I get accepted for and frankly, I would not get accepted for what I primarily sell.

I was just accepted at a small local show 90 miles away for the fall. In looking over the artist package, they stated specifically that you could only display and sell work that your slides represented and they specifically forbid jewelry. My problem is that at my last show (whcih was a major art fair), I sold 4 under $35 bowls, one clock, and 80 pieces of jewelry (it was a great show).

I decided to be honest (ok, stop snickering). I emailed the director and asked if I was going to be in trouble if I sold pins and pendants and earrings. My argument was that it was the same technique (kiln formed glass), same material, same style, same artist etc. She replied that I was specifically forbidden to sell anything other than what I submitted in the slides.

This is a small first time show - 27 artists - and I doubt that I would even recover my driving costs.

This is a bit longwinded, but there are several questions I would like to hear feedback about -

Do other artist stay strictly with what they submit on their slides?

There seems to me to be a disconnect between the intent of show organizers and artists. Artists need to sell work in order to survive, but Art Fairs seem to take the attitude that you are there to "show" your work. Is this other people's impression?

Would any of you still go to this show even though you know you are going to lose $$?

Sorry for the length of the post.

AJ
Dani

Post by Dani »

First, I'd like to say you took exactly the right step going straight to the director to raise the issue. It's highly likely that the management is out of touch with what is actually selling in this economy and in this particular show. And it's important to constantly reinforce the concept that artists commit to these shows not just to show off their artwork, but to make a living. (What a concept, no? :roll: ) I applaud you for making honesty a primary issue here. I've struggled with a similar issue at BMAC. The director of that show is staunchly anti-import, but my dilemma is that I happen to love West German mouthblown glass. Many artists have said it's no big deal to use foreigh-made materials as long as the work is hand-crafted by a North American artist. It still doesn't sit well with me, so I haven't been able to bring myself to consider applying to the show again... or even submitting work for the NICHE awards. There's that naggy little voice inside..... it's a puzzlement. If I submitted work again, it would certainly be with just American-made glass, but still there's that shadow of knowing lots of my other work is using (gasp) imported material, and maybe even tools. I guess having written this, my feeling is to skip a show whose philosophy is too different from mine and find another that's a better fit. Unless, there's a chance you can affect a change for the better within a reasonable amount of effort and time.
gone

Post by gone »

Part of the problem is the way they define the catagories. Most of them refer to the medium with the exception of jewelry, which can overlap into many mediums. The jewelry catagory is extremely competitive and it is understandable that the promoters want only the juried jewelers to sell jewelry. That said,I usually also bring some jewelry and admit it does sell faster than the (much better!) stuff, even in the same price range. I figure that if they are serious about no jewelry in the glass booth, they will ask me to remove it. So far nobody has and believe me, I'm no competition to a real jeweler! Since this show seems to be serious about you not bringing the jewelry and you've already asked and gotten a definitive "no", consider make some other inexpensive things like coasters, chimes, keychains, magnets. I'm noticing this year that people want things that are "useful" in order to justify buying them. Anyone else notice this?

Quote from my show last weekend from a woman talking to her friend as they walked past my booth:

"These weren't meant to be bargains, they were meant to be impulse buys!"

It was a big coaster, keychain, chime and earring weekend!!!!! I'm not above doing these things until the economy improves!

Els
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Dani wrote:First, I'd like to say you took exactly the right step going straight to the director to raise the issue. It's highly likely that the management is out of touch with what is actually selling in this economy and in this particular show. And it's important to constantly reinforce the concept that artists commit to these shows not just to show off their artwork, but to make a living. (What a concept, no? :roll: ) I applaud you for making honesty a primary issue here. I've struggled with a similar issue at BMAC. The director of that show is staunchly anti-import, but my dilemma is that I happen to love West German mouthblown glass. Many artists have said it's no big deal to use foreigh-made materials as long as the work is hand-crafted by a North American artist. It still doesn't sit well with me, so I haven't been able to bring myself to consider applying to the show again... or even submitting work for the NICHE awards. There's that naggy little voice inside..... it's a puzzlement. If I submitted work again, it would certainly be with just American-made glass, but still there's that shadow of knowing lots of my other work is using (gasp) imported material, and maybe even tools. I guess having written this, my feeling is to skip a show whose philosophy is too different from mine and find another that's a better fit. Unless, there's a chance you can affect a change for the better within a reasonable amount of effort and time.
Dani

I'm puzzled here. I can see no earthly reason that any work crafted by you using foreign made raw materials isn't totally legitamate as hand made craft. We are in a rare industry where there are actually American made glasses available.

If you were buying glass vases and painting flowers on them, I can see the issue as the item is primarily factory made, but sheet glass made in another country should be a non-issue.

Now why anyone would want to heat Lamberts glass hot enough to lose the surface and striatons is another issue all together.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

Andrew - I applaud your honesty with the show manager. My response is two fold. Not only am I an exhibiting artist, I am also a show manager.

Like many groups, my group conducts an annual event which I began managing last year. All members, about 120 strong, are welcome to exhibit in our show. Being a members only event we exclude the jury process. However, we do have "CRITERIA" that we expect members to abid by. Any displayed products must meet the criteria or it is removed on the spot. This effort is intended to keep product quality high by excluding all non-hand made, or by/sell stuff. If the artists declines removal of products not meeting the criteria, they can be excluded from the event. Yes, we take it seriously.

From the artisian perspective. I am very selective of the shows I apply for. The ones I do apply for are all juried. My products are not intended to compete with low end or by/sell stuff. It's all good quality, and yes, sales are slow right now. It is very disturbing when I see the rules being broken for increased sales opportunities. The act degrades good shows IMO. The shows allowing such things are removed from my applicaton list.

Just my opinion and I'm stickin to it. No offense intended. :D :D
gone

Post by gone »

I think I left the wrong impression with my last post here. I usually include a jewelry shot with my slides, unless it's a high end show where a cohesive body of work is very important. Often I will apply in both catagories, glass and jewelry, if I think it's iffy to include a jewelry slide. At the show two weeks ago, which is considered the best show in the state, I did jury in with just glass and I had a few bracelets and earrings on the counter.
I am also not trying to compete against buy/sell by making some items that sell for under $20. Nobody can compete with buy/sell. But I believe it is nice to have some things in a price that I myself would be able to afford. That doesn't mean it has to be of low quality! I would LOVE to make just art pieces, but I don't have another job (and niether does my husband at this time), so I will make what sells. I do draw the line at floral former vases and flattened bottles, etc, but that's just me. I know of a few very accomplished artists who are looking into doing a production line.
I know this is off the subject of "breaking the rules". I actually asked this same question on the Crafts Report Messsage board a long time ago and received many private emails saying in essence "it's easier to apologize than to get permission", but nobody would say so in a public forum, so I guess this is my version of honesty. I will bend that rule a bit, if I feel it will not degrade the show and if the promoter feels differently, they will tell me.
Andrew, you said it was a small, first year show. Many artists won't do first year shows at all. Did you pay a booth fee or is it a commission show? If you feel obligated to go, you can use it to beef up your mailing list and expose your work to future customers, who may feel they shouldn't be buying at this time. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Els
Dani

Post by Dani »

Bert Weiss wrote:
Dani wrote:First, I'd like to say you took exactly the right step going straight to the director to raise the issue. It's highly likely that the management is out of touch with what is actually selling in this economy and in this particular show. And it's important to constantly reinforce the concept that artists commit to these shows not just to show off their artwork, but to make a living. (What a concept, no? :roll: ) I applaud you for making honesty a primary issue here. I've struggled with a similar issue at BMAC. The director of that show is staunchly anti-import, but my dilemma is that I happen to love West German mouthblown glass. Many artists have said it's no big deal to use foreigh-made materials as long as the work is hand-crafted by a North American artist. It still doesn't sit well with me, so I haven't been able to bring myself to consider applying to the show again... or even submitting work for the NICHE awards. There's that naggy little voice inside..... it's a puzzlement. If I submitted work again, it would certainly be with just American-made glass, but still there's that shadow of knowing lots of my other work is using (gasp) imported material, and maybe even tools. I guess having written this, my feeling is to skip a show whose philosophy is too different from mine and find another that's a better fit. Unless, there's a chance you can affect a change for the better within a reasonable amount of effort and time.
Dani

I'm puzzled here. I can see no earthly reason that any work crafted by you using foreign made raw materials isn't totally legitamate as hand made craft. We are in a rare industry where there are actually American made glasses available.

If you were buying glass vases and painting flowers on them, I can see the issue as the item is primarily factory made, but sheet glass made in another country should be a non-issue.

Now why anyone would want to heat Lamberts glass hot enough to lose the surface and striatons is another issue all together.
Now, Bert, one does do other things with glass besides heat it up! Have you heard of cold glass objets?? LOL. Or just painting on it which doesn't change the character of the original, at least not unless there's striking. :wink: Maybe I'm just being overly-sensitive to the relentless yadayadayada of anything import, I don't know. I just don't feel comfortable knowing I could limit my materials choice using only American-made glass.... but, I love the imported glass, too. I can tell where you've drawn the line. I haven't found my comfort zone yet. And it may come down to a bigger issue..... I was raised in foreign countries as a military brat. Gasp, I have a foreign mother and many friends and relatives. I LOVE imports, especially good ones and so far, seem to be able to stay out of the competition with them by selling stuff that's not available via import. So I'm still in a debate situation with myself. At any rate, it's an interesting exercise in personal integrity which is always a good thing, no?
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

That's interesting Dani. While not a military brat, I was born in another country - we immigrated to the US when I was very young. I have always found the campaigns that suggest limiting my purchasing to US made products limiting. I believe in buying quality. If made in the US can't compete quality-wise, then we need to work harder at being better instead of limiting what people can purchase or use. I would be uncomfortable about US made only shows myself.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Dani

Post by Dani »

Well, you know, I'm probably just an alien from another planet acting like an Earthling! Wihich could explain why earthly things confuse me on occasion. Far as I can tell, the world would be a better place if religious separation, nationalism, and other curious concepts like that would just go away. Protectionist attitudes about products probably fit in there, too. :?
Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

Ouch. My view is more than protectional pertaining to my products. The idea is protecting your products as well. It's also about being respectful of the event rules.

I'll get of this soap box now.
Larry Lunsford

Post by Larry Lunsford »

Jerry (and other show planners): What is your objective for an art show? What is your measure of success (sales, volume of people, artistic quality of items)?

Would you consider a show with 100 booths, each with a few high end pieces and no sales a success?

Would you consider a show with 100 booths, each full of buy/sell items and large volume of sales a failure?

Larry
Andrew

Measures of success

Post by Andrew »

It depends, of course. I've had shows where I didn't make back the entry fee, much less the travel costs or time. People would look in the booth and sort of cluck when they saw my prices. That one was a failure no matter which way you read the book.

But it is more subtle than that.

I want to make enough at a show to keep creating. If I can't make enough to pay for glass and supplies and travel, then I won't have enough to work on that next idea. I've had shows where I get compliment after compliment, but few sales and I've grown entrepreneurial (or cynical) enough to recognize that buying my work is the highest compliment. I thought I once read in Crafts Report that you are not supposed to thank people for compliments because that cuts off sales. I still can't do that and have to acknowledge when people appreciate my work.

Success for me is having the means and opportunity to continue to create.
I suspect show planners have similar goals - if they can continue to attract the artists they want (whether buy/sell or high end) and continue to have the means to promote their vision (whether you agree with it or not . . uh Gingerbread shows anyone?) then they consider it a success.

But all this begs my original question - which was when is fused glass not fused glass, but jewelry?

AJ
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Honesty in Applying to Shows

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Andrew wrote:Ok Sages. Here is what happened. When I apply to shows, I send in slides of unique bowls or clocks, or vases. It is all fused glass basically using the same techniques, styles etc. At shows, I rarely sell any of those beautiful pieces which are priced in the 100 - 300 range. Probably 90% of what I sell is in the under $35 range.

The point is this. What I primarily sell is not what I get accepted for and frankly, I would not get accepted for what I primarily sell.

I was just accepted at a small local show 90 miles away for the fall. In looking over the artist package, they stated specifically that you could only display and sell work that your slides represented and they specifically forbid jewelry. My problem is that at my last show (whcih was a major art fair), I sold 4 under $35 bowls, one clock, and 80 pieces of jewelry (it was a great show).

I decided to be honest (ok, stop snickering). I emailed the director and asked if I was going to be in trouble if I sold pins and pendants and earrings. My argument was that it was the same technique (kiln formed glass), same material, same style, same artist etc. She replied that I was specifically forbidden to sell anything other than what I submitted in the slides.

This is a small first time show - 27 artists - and I doubt that I would even recover my driving costs.

This is a bit longwinded, but there are several questions I would like to hear feedback about -

There seems to me to be a disconnect between the intent of show organizers and artists. Artists need to sell work in order to survive, but Art Fairs seem to take the attitude that you are there to "show" your work. Is this other people's impression?

Would any of you still go to this show even though you know you are going to lose $$?

AJ
I would put a few bits of the other stuff ( that sells ) discreatly in the slides

Have then slightly pocing out from bhind other stuff or even at the back slightly out of focous

Then sell them in the show

Its all very well 2 have a high princepled director but then no or few sales

Also have a look arround in the show do otheres sell these ( offending things )
Dani

Post by Dani »

What you just described, Brian, is a bad jury slide at least by American standards. One can get juried out of a show by having more than one item in a slide.... or by having a color other than gray as your background! I used a grass cloth background once and nobody looked at the work, just kicked the slides out. And commented on the poor quality of my slides. You just have to play by the rules. I still think the best bet is to try to talk to the director and get some level of approval. Have the expensive work to make the show look great, but sell the jewelry to make the cost of the show. If the director doesn't understand that, they are the problem.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I'm not a sage, nor have I a long history of shows, but I have done a few shows and some with a great deal of prestige. I have also been the juror for shows; exhibits, not fairs, and we have had a criteria in mind of how the show is to look, what the balance will be and what caliber of work we intend to include. I expect that this is the same set of goals for jurors of retail or wholesale shows as well, with the added category of...will it sell? So, with my myopic view developed from my limited experiences, I have an opinion.
They should. A show isn't just about sales, it's designed to have a particular look, caliber of work and is juried according to those parameters. Clearly, sales are a large part of the picture though. Chances are, if you bring different work than you were juried in on, you won't be included in future shows, and may even be asked to leave. Chose and enter shows where your work that sells is a match for the work that could be juried in if sales are your main need. If your work that was juried in isn't in the price point of what sells, look for venues that are a better fit for you.
Not in my opinion. If you can't sell, you won't be back even if you get juried in. It isn't in the best interests of either party for your work not to sell. It isn't in anyone's interests to be in a show with an inconsistent quality or style of work, or have a show with those same inconsistencies either. You don't want your work next to a booth with a different caliber of work, and vis a vis. The directors of these events have the reputation of the show to consider as well and don't want to promote an image and have that image countered with work that is out of place.

Depends on what long term benefits the show can bring. Will being in this show provide future benefits? Is making sales at the show the only benefit? For me, the small art/craft festivals have been places to sell coasters and dichro baubles and make a quick profit, but they don't go on my resume, nor do I promote myself at these shows. They have been good, quick and easy money makers since the booth fees are low, the travel expenses are nil and not much is risked financially or otherwise. They are great shows, and are the bread and butter for many.

The larger retail shows are about sales too, but more so about marketing, carreer building and exposure in my opinion. This view is one I came to after doing a prestigious retail show that cost me grundles to ship to, travel to, lodging while there...well you know the ropes. This show didn't garner me the income I had hoped for. I was really reeling after that and it was difficult. But I got an audience with and recognition from the curator of a well recognized contemporary arts museum. To have been in his radar, and have had subsequent contact from him is huge for me. To have this show on my resume has opened doors, gotten me a few collectors and prompted sales that I didn't have access to before, and the benefits are still being realized from this one show. Having experienced these benefits of doing a prestigious show would factor into my decision to do another show of this caliber...if I am fortunate enough to jury into one again.

Is this particular show you are chewing on worth your efforts? Is it a good venue, a good match for your work and price point? It sounds as if it isn't a good match from what you say. Would you want to your clients to know that they may find you there? Does this show support your level of work in terms of caliber and customers? Are focus, future and financial needs met at these shows? Consider what you want to get out of them, and pick accordingly. There are shows out there to meet every style, price point and quality of work. I guess I would suggest you look for the right fit. I feel that is where your best opportunities for success lie, and only you know what your measure of what success is.

IN response to what Dani brought up...I have just recently considered doing ACC...the retail side. I got the impression that the "American Made" caveat was to prevent mass produced work that was being exported to Mexico for fabrication, or to use imported already fabricated work and call it your own, even down to embellishments. I am not certain about this since I just started reading the info they sent me...but that was my impression...not that you couldn't do your own work with imported materials. Maybe BMAC is different.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Andrew wrote:Ok Sages. Here is what happened. When I apply to shows, I send in slides of unique bowls or clocks, or vases. It is all fused glass basically using the same techniques, styles etc. At shows, I rarely sell any of those beautiful pieces which are priced in the 100 - 300 range. Probably 90% of what I sell is in the under $35 range.

AJ
This is a perennial issue with doing shows for many people, I think.

As for your questions, no I don't stay with exactly what is shown in my slides unless it is a requirement of that show. I tend to send slides of more expensive pieces ($300+) to show what I can do I always send a slide of my glass/sterling jewelry, too, even when I'm not required to apply both in glass and jewelry, just so they know I will have jewelry and there won't be a problem at the show.

I learned this the hard way some years ago after sending slides of what was selling instead of what I can do and getting wait listed for a couple of shows that I shouldn't have been waitedlisted for. I think everyone sends photos of their best work, not what they're selling, so why put yourself at a disadvantage?

Some shows require that people with jewelry apply in 2 categories. When that is a requirement, I do it and have thus far been accepted in both categories. If I wasn't allowed to sell my jewelry at a show, I wouldn't do that show this year. It's been a big year for jewelry for me.

I agree that in some ways there is a disconnect between the show organizers and the artists. The organizers want a beautiful, upscale looking show. However, in this economy, for many of us that isn't the work that's selling. The organizers are looking toward the future, I think, and want to keep their reputation for a high quality show, even if that's not what people are buying at the moment. I take the high end work. If it sells, yahoo! If not, I give myself more credibility as an artist by showing what I can do. It sometimes sells the less expensive work, by getting people to take the time to stop and look at my work more closely.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

Geri
Deb Libby

Post by Deb Libby »

Andrew, I commend you for your forthrightness in going to the show director....sometimes, we don't get the answers we want but they hopefully will remember you for your honesty. I do alot of shows (all levels, high-end art shows and low/mid-level art/craft shows) and am very careful to show only what I'm juried for, i.e. all glass items like bowls, sculptures or a combination of jewelry, too. Often they will state that jewelry must juried as a separate category or that you need to submit a slide indicating jewelry will shown.

This year (because I wanted to add jewelry to my show product line) I tried submitting 4 slides of my bowls/plates and one of my jewelry slides showing design work similar to that within the plates....I also wrote somewhere within the "description of work" area that no more than ____% of the booth will be comprised of jewelry. The show producers seemed to appreciate that and only one of the 8 different producers said, "No" to the jewelry; most wanted less than 15-20% of the booth as jewelry. And that's okay with me; I've respected their decision because jewelry is often such a large portion of each show, the producers are only trying to prevent the jewelers from having too much competition ... and that's fair; we wouldn't want 50-100 fusers in a show of 300 booths.

You've asked the show promoter now, so continue to be honest and don't take the jewelry. Next time, submit one slide of jewelry (being careful that it appears to continue within the "body of your work", with same background in slide, etc.) and see what happens .... if you get accepted to the show, I'd say you were covered for both jewelry and bowls, etc.
Good luck,
Deb Libby
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

In my (limited) show experience, I have found that most shows will allow you to jury in more than one category, which is what I do. I have 2 sets of slides of two separate bodies of work, one for the jewelry category, one for the glass category. I have to pay two jury fees, but only one booth fee. I have about half of my display set up with jewelry (the bread and butter), the other half with my more expensive fused panels (the art), and I'm ashamed to say that I throw in stupid melted bottles, which would NEVER jury into any decent show. I've never been asked to remove anything. 99% of my sales are on $40-70 jewelry items. If it weren't for the jewelry, I'd be greeting at Wal-Mart. The bottles are my gimmick to lure guys (the ones who are miserable and only came to the show to make their lady happy) into sticking around at the edge of my booth while their wives/girlfriends look at the jewelry. I gain "instant coolness" with them when they see that I melt beer bottles.

However, being a jewelry person, I do understand the show promoter's postion to have to come up with a well rounded show. If people in every category had jewelry as a component of their display (painters, potters, photographers, can all make jewelry of some sort within their medium), the show would be too heavily weighted in the jewelry area. The jewelry is usually extremely competitive, and the last thing a jewelry person wants is a show with every booth full of jewelry. By jurying in for both categories, the promoter can be more sure of keeping a balanced show, which is a benefit to everybody.
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider