13" depth,,,,,HOW BIG THE PIECE

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

rodney

13" depth,,,,,HOW BIG THE PIECE

Post by rodney »

i just got access to a 13" deep kiln, the person said i would have to have a shelf on little stilts,,,,,im wondering if i made my mold, with little legs, if could avoid the shelf entirely,,,,,the lid has coils, how much space should i leave at the top,,,,,and if i make the molds, since the kiln has side and top coils, how much space do i leave between each mold,,,thanks,rodney
lizpage

Post by lizpage »

Hi Rodney-
I would recommend you only doing casting on one level ( ie- dont stack the molds onto different platforms) but fit as many as you can as long as they arent touching. (Its generally good practice to arrange multiple molds in the kiln in an even arrangement so heat is distributed evenly throughout the kiln.)

As for creating a leg in the mold itself- I do not recommend this. The legs could weaken with firing and its just more hassle than its worth. It would be better to use ceramic kiln posts (available at pottery and glass suppliers) that are (at least 2 inches high) under a kiln shelf to put your molds on.

Whatever you do- you do not want to touch the elements of the kiln. As all kilns are created differently- I would test a few pieces to see where/how the the heat distribution is with the kiln in use. As long as the mold is at least a few inches from the top lid I think you are ok.

It would be nice to know what type of mold you are working on. Like are you making an open face mold or an enclosed??
Liz Page
rodney

Post by rodney »

thanks liz,,,the plan is to make molds with a plug or sorts, to make a vase, so we shall see,,,,,i do appreciate the help,rodney

do you have a site, where i can see your work