Castalot for repeated firings??

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

lizpage

Castalot for repeated firings??

Post by lizpage »

Anyone tried the new product called Castalot??
(a re-useable mold material that can be used for mulitple firings)

So far I have turned up with 5 repeated castings from the first molds I made but I havent been satisfied with the finish on the glass.

The manufacturer recommends using kiln wash to coat the inside of the mold - They recommend it make the mold to hold up longer. It leaves a grainey finish on the glass. So on some firings I didnt use Kiln wash and the mold material stuck to the glass (but only a few- and some others were beautiful!) and thus hurting the mold for repeated use.

Anyone had success with a good finish and repeated firings??

Care to share the ratio of water to mold material that works best for you??
Liz Page
lizpage

Post by lizpage »

Since noone replied to my message- one has to assume y'all have no idea what I am talking about because the product " Castalot" is so new that none has tried it yet.
So my advice to serious kiln casters is to check out this new "Castalot" mold material developed by Michael Dupille. The name castalot refers to its purpose- pour a mold from it from the manufacturers recomendation of 2-1 mold material to water by volume, pre-fire, and cast into it MULTIPLE FIRINGS!!!
- Yes I have done it and YES it works! There are still some bugs I am trying to work out for me but its definitely worth investigating.
Liz Page
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Hi Liz.... Barbara Bader here...
Come to the October OGG/PDX chapter meeting.... Michael Dupille is the featured entertainment!

I've seen Michael's molds & castings using castalot. Looks great to me. come to the meeting & ask him questions. In fact, bring a piece with you to show.
BB
Barbara Bader
lizpage

Post by lizpage »

Thanks Barbara!- I will come to that meeting. I am looking forward
to meeting him and seeing his presentation! - :lol: .
Liz Page