color combos

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

ellen abbott

color combos

Post by ellen abbott »

I'm trying to achieve a medium pink. Using BE, the erbium pink is very pretty but not the richer color I want. The old Lt. Pink and the new Lt. Pink Striker are way too dark. I have tried mixing erb pink and lt pink together also tried adding neo-lavender to the mix as well as lt purple and lt plum to verying degrees of acceptance. But not success. Some combinations look ok with reflected light (though still not the color I want). But not with transmitted light. The main problem is that the lt pink (which I am mostly using up before I move on to the striker), even at frit size 1 is so dense that when held up to the light it becomes very spotty. Every grain of the lt pink is discernable, no matter the ratio or other colors in the mix. Any suggestions?

And as long as I'm asking anyone have any weird effects with coral and erb pink mixed together? Surely I've done that by now but I can't recall.

E
rodney

Post by rodney »

to make paint more pastel, you add white,,,,,,to make glass more pastel, i would say add clear

rodney
rodney

Re: color combos

Post by rodney »

[quote="ellen abbott"]even at frit size 1 is so dense that when held up to the light it becomes very spotty. Every grain of the lt pink is discernable, no matter the ratio or other colors in the mix. Any suggestions?

if the frit is visable on the surface, as flecks, it seems that they would need to be crushed into powder and mixed with white or clear,,,,,but if they are not so visible on the surface, mixing with white could disperse the light enough to make them disappear
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Ellen

I'm not looking at any catalogs, but I think that both Bullseye and Uroboros are making casting glasses in tints that are weak in thin profile and stronger in casting thicknesses. Maybe there is a pink?

If not, you could try and get a glass blower to dilute the strong pinks with clear. Remelt them, stir together, don't cook it too long and if you are lucky they will remain compatible. Maybe a plugged up flower pot melt will do it. Yeah that's the ticket.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Ellen,

I would suggest you go through all the testing with the lt. Pink and the striker pink with clear and white. Make sure you use the powder and, you probably already know to do this, but shake it all together in another container so you get as homogeneous (sp?) mixture as possible. I would do this with different ratios.

I think this is the kind of thing where you have to try every solution to make the decision and we here really don't know what you are looking for. Since my medium pink is most likely different than your's. LOL

Good luck,
Amy