gallery vs art rep/consultant

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

ellen abbott

gallery vs art rep/consultant

Post by ellen abbott »

For those of you who have both types of representation, do you sell your work at the same wholesale price to both?

For galleries, whether bought or consigned, wholesale is usually 50%. Art reps work a little differently. Should they get the same discount or would something like 15 - 20% be more usual?

e
Bert Weiss

Re: gallery vs art rep/consultant

Post by Bert Weiss »

ellen abbott wrote:For those of you who have both types of representation, do you sell your work at the same wholesale price to both?

For galleries, whether bought or consigned, wholesale is usually 50%. Art reps work a little differently. Should they get the same discount or would something like 15 - 20% be more usual?

e
Ellen

I think that it depends on the cost and volume of the project. For a large architectural project, I would be comfortable paying a rep 15 - 20% of gross. Having to pay 50% would put me in a bind and make the profit margin too slim. I see this type of work as having a "market price" that is set by the large competition. Typically a large project runs me 30 - 33% expenses. If I have to fork over 50% on top of that, I didn't do well at all.

I see sales as being one of my biggest expenses. Shows are expensive to do and often don't pay off for a few years. So if somebody can bring me a job for 20%, that seems good. If I have to pay more than that, I hope I'm getting an inflated price. On custom work that might be possible.

Now if you are selling a light or vase or something to an art consultant, I could see negotiating 50% wholesale and everybody could be happy.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

I agree with Bert. My work is almost exclusively commissioned architectural works for commercial settings and I'm typically brought into a project through an architect or designer where I contract directly with the client. I price the project based on what I need (and what I think the project is worth) and there's no mark-up.

I've had very mixed experience with arts consultants. Some bill the client for their services (flat fee or hourly) and don't mark up the cost of my work. IMO, this is how it should work. Others will add anywhere from 10% to 20% of gross which I think is reasonable.

I have encountered consultants who seem to think they can mark up the work 100% as a gallery might do for what is essentially a portable work (as opposed to a site-specific and architecturally integrated piece). Needless to say, that results in the work being priced out of the market and none of those projects have come to fruition in my case.

In any case, I price my work at what I need to get and if the consultant adds a mark-up, so be it. Presumably, they are providing a service to the client which the client is willing to pay for, i.e: forming or adding to a collection of artworks, arranging for their framing, lighting, installation and display, advising on conservation of existing works in the collection, educating employees about the collection, etc.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

I do the same for my architectural work. I price it by what I need and think it's worth and then the designer or art consultant adds whatever percentage is usual for them. Somewhere in the 10 - 20% range.

My query was mainly for the pate de verre work. I had an inquiry from an art consultant via e-mail. She provided two web addresses. One for an art consultant another for a gallery, however the gallery, as near as I could tell by looking over the site, doesn't carry art glass. Anyway this was for a hotel project and she wanted to know what the wholesale prices were for our 'studio glass' as she called it. Her inquiry was not for the gallery, as in having our work there on premises. My first thought was to give her a 20% discount. Is this appropriate or should I give her the gallery wholesale price?

E
Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

Yes, it's a bit confusing. Assuming it's not a site-specific and integrated work, the distinction for me would be whether I'm selling existing work or whether I'm creating a commissioned piece specifically for this client.

If it's existing work (or, say, a production piece that I normally make), I would price it wholesale subject to my normal minimums. If it's a specially commissioned piece or does not meet my minimum I would discount it, say, 20%.

You might email back requesting more information such as what pieces the consultant is interested in, how many pieces, etc.

Even if you offer it at a 20% discount, if the consultant is purchasing it from you then reselling it to the client, he or she may still mark it up 100%. Or, whatever, she thinks she can get. This is not a bad thing. If she can make good money on your work, she may come back to you for more.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg