wholesale

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Sara

Re: wholesale

Post by Sara »

Dick Ditore wrote:very happy to have my first wholesale order. now the question. who pays shipping,or do you make the wholesale price high enough to cover it? I delivered the first order as I was going to be nearby, but it is too far for future orders,of which they are already requesting more. thanks, Dick
Woweeee, get a new computer, get overwhelmed and don't answer anyone anything whilst figuring out all the new programs and then go outta town for a couple of days and looks what happens . . . still not as spontaneous as the old board though is it!

Congratulations Dick. I'm a wholesale nut and although I feel my work is of superior quality and that I can run with the big dogs, I've been known to offer a shipping incentive occasionally, although I don't really think this has anything to do with people buying or not . . . they ain't gonna necessarily buy if I pay for shipping and if they like my work they buy anyway. In my case I toss in free shipping when I'm doing a postcard blitz and want everyone to order by a certain date (control freak that I am) or to toss in shipping at a show if they prepay. Mostly I charge exact shipping costs plus a couple of dollars for my trouble. I've got friends who not only charge for shipping but charge a percentage for a packing fee. After talking to my accounts and finding that they don't seem to like that extra 5% I simply make sure that my pricing includes a bit for shipping. make sense????

Remember that my work is tiny stuff mostly, I've not been known to be so generous with my bowls and paperweights.

Good luck,

Sara

p.s. I returned last evening from a doing a Bead show outside Boston and it was fabulous, Tony Smith stopped by to say hello. My new kilnformed beads are sure being happily received. No shipping incentives here although I do offer a buy four beads for a better price than one bead deal Ha Ha.
Cheryl

There goes my idea for a pseudonym

Post by Cheryl »

Sara, nice to "see" you - Tony mentioned seeing you in Boston. After all these posts from "real" names, I guess LuvHug is out as a pseudonym. Imagine my distress.

PS: We moved north of Baltimore, not to N.Mex. :D
suzmary

Post by suzmary »

Hello, everyone! I will introduce myself also, so I'm not "lurking" anymore. I haven't posted yet, because I'm new at glass, and I've just been reading everything to learn from you all. You are all wonderful, talented artists, and I hope to be able to create things as beautiful someday. If I can only get my family to stop laughing at my little Quikfire, they keep callling it the spaceship!!!! How on earth can one be creative with a mini-spaceship!!!

Anyway, when I first started reading all the different posts on this site, I thought, WOW, look at these talented people, they must be in a league I'll never know. Viewing your work, your sites, and hearing of your business experiences, I truly put you all above the everyday, human status of someone like me. I'm still trying to figure out how to work this thing to make all the ideas in my brain into something even remotely near as beautiful as you all do, while still getting the kids off to school with a lunch and a backpack, do the laundry, work my two jobs, etc. The more I read, the more I realize, you are all human, real people, just like me, and you have moods and "bad" days, and you still need to balance your checkbooks and clean the toilets, etc. It gives a "newby" hope that someday, if I can figure it all out, I won't be "newby lurker" anymore, just another post along with you all on a great board.

Meanwhile, I hope to keep reading all the wonderful, extremely helpful and insightful information you provide, not only to each other, as I believe one's creativity feeds off others, but to a struggling, trying to keep sanity in an insane world, newby big M big O big M!!! Funny thing, there, but my family likes to go off on their day with clean underwear and a good, well stocked lunch!!! They don't like when MOM gets so lost in her glass work that she forgets to water the plants, feed the dog, and do the shopping!

Thanks for this great board, and all you great and talented artists! I hope you'll welcome a sort of adjusted "newby".

"Smile more, people wonder what you're up to!" :lol:
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." Theodore Roosevelt
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Thanks for delurking...and welcome.

Geri
suzmary

Thanks!

Post by suzmary »

Geri, thanks! I really do enjoy this whole board, no matter what format. The thing I don't enjoy is the fact that I have to go back to work now, UGH!!! Real job is calling. Thanks for the welcome, and I look forward to stopping back to "lurk", or rather, explore all the posts since I left. By for now, have a super day, all!!
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." Theodore Roosevelt