what's your favorite kiln?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michelle Fokos

what's your favorite kiln?

Post by Michelle Fokos »

hi all,

i'm a newcomer both to this site as well as to fusing, but i'm already hooked on both!

i am in the process of researching kilns, with the hopes of buying one by next week, and i would love to hear suggestions any of you might have on which might be a good kiln for me to start with.

i will be wired for 220, will be doing a fair amount of production work, prefer a top loader and would like to keep it under $2000.

so far i am considering getting the Skutt 1414, mostly because the oval shape allows for more firing room than the rounder ones.

i would love to hear from those of you with the 1414...what do you love and/or dislike about it? (why doesn't it have peep holes like the other Skutts?)

and what other kilns would you suggest i look into more? why are square kilns so rare? are most kilns rounded off for better circulation of heat?

i'd also love to hear about preferences between Bullseye and Spectrum.

if there are already threads addressing any of these topics, please point me in the right direction!

thanks so much for any and all input!

michelle
charlie

Post by charlie »

i know a couple of people with the 1414 in this area (i have the 1014). they're workhorses and i haven't heard any downside to them now that the factory has the bugs worked out of them. ensure you get a new model and not a leftover from a couple of years ago.

round kilns are cheaper to make than square ones, but you can make larger items in a square one.
Brock

Post by Brock »

The Skutt Clamshell. It's around your budget, and a VERY good kiln. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

I have the 1414....one of the 1st ones off the line. I've had my share of trouble with it, but I think most of it's because the bugs weren't worked out of the design yet. And the Skutt folks have taken great care of me to work it out. My kiln is down at the moment (See the thread "Help...Kiln Crazy
http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2154 ) but Skutt's giving me a new lid, new relays, & fixing the controller on Sunday. (Luckily, I live in Portland, as does Skutt.) I'm looking forward to seeing the new design for the lid. Doesn't use pins for the elements.

Feel free to contact me off-board... the 1414 is my 1st kiln... and I'd be glad to share my thoughts before-purchase & after-purchase... I don't mean because of Skutt, but just figuring out what one wants in a 1st kiln...

Best, Barbara
Barbara Bader
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Ditto what Brock said. I just purchased my 4th kiln...a Skutt Clamshell. It is beautifully designed and I expect I will use it more than any of my other kilns. We have used this kiln in many of the workshops we teach and are now recommending it to our students.

Avery
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Does the clam shell come with a window? The one I saw didn't have one.
Steph
Michelle Fokos

Post by Michelle Fokos »

thanks to all who have replied! i'm curious, brock and avery, why do you love the clam shell so much? is it the size/shape you like, or other factors? avery...i looked at your website and am in awe of your fused pieces! they are absolutely phenomenal!

thanks again for the info!

michelle
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Thank you, Michelle, for the compliments.

Regarding the clam shell, here are some of the reasons we like this kiln: it is a good size and can do fairly large work (takes a 20" kiln shelf). You can work directly on the shelf while in the kiln which helps when setting up pattern bars or pieces with intricate designs, rather than having to lean over a kiln and killing your back, or having to lift a heavy kiln shelf into a front loader. It has a fiber lid, so less debris is likely to contaminate your work. The elements are suspended on refractory rods so they won't warp or end up hanging loosly, and they are easily changeable. The lid of the kiln is on gas shocks so it's not heavy to lift and the wall mounted controller is very user friendly. Having a controller away from the heat source is one of my criterias for any kiln. I simply don't understand the kiln industry mounting controllers on kilns when the high temperatures can affect the electrical components.

Currently, the clam shell does not have a window but it might be something Skutt includes in future models. They have asked for input as to ways to improve this kiln. I can't think of many, but that might be something to consider.

Hope this helps.

Avery
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Hey Avery... you forgot to mention that Skutt's clamshell is also simply gorgeous gaze upon.... =P~
Barbara
Barbara Bader
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

I just purchased the GlasGlow 350D. It's square and takes a 24" shelf. I can't tell you how pleased I am with it. SOOO WELL MADE. None better. You'll have to get with Marty at Centre DeVerre to find out if Paul's still making them. Heard he sold the rights to Paragon.

http://www.cdvkiln.com/menularge.htm
Patricia O'Neill

Post by Patricia O'Neill »

My favorite kiln may not be your favorite kiln... choosing a kiln will depend of the type of work you are doing or want to do.

I just purchased another kiln (it is going to be delivered today...) and was hesitating between several models. I called Marty at Centre de Verre (see link on this board) and he helped me make my final decision. And I insist on help, not push, get it?
OMHO, Marty is a professional, very knowledgeable and helpfull. I would recommand that you talk to him. Purchasing a kiln is an important choice.

Hope that helps...
Patricia
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

My favorite kiln is the one I built. But I had the pleasure of using a Scutt Clamshell for a few weeks and I love it. Both kiln and controller were perfect.

Jack