fusing with copper wire

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mark Selleck

fusing with copper wire

Post by Mark Selleck »

From a previous life, I have a couple of large spools of thin copper wire used in windings for electric motors. The wire has a lacquer coating that color-codes various wires based on temperature resistance. I'm wondering about using the wire between two sheets of glass: do you think the coating burn-off will leave a residue? I've used the wire in lampwork inclusions, but the lacquer burns off immediately in the flame, prior to my inserting it into the glass. I'm wondering if it will leave a deposit on the glass in the kiln, as temperatures will be considerably lower. Any ideas, suggestions, before I start experimenting?

Thanks,
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I predict there will be some ash, best to stick in a few small test pieces next time you run the kiln. You could also try running some steel wool over the wire to remove the laquer.
"The Glassman"
charlie

Post by charlie »

soak the spool in lacquer thinner?
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

You could burn it before you use it. Always use protection. Unless you don't want to.
j.
Lia Howe

Post by Lia Howe »

Beware of fumes and toxic dust. Burning it off in you kiln COULD harm your elements. Remember everything you put in your kiln ends up in some form on your elements. Steel wool will workbut it will take time. Also be aware that if your wire is the stuff I'm thinking it is, It can also burn . Firing in the kiln may make it brittle. I used thin copper wire to make hangers in some suncatchers. At a full fuse most of it became brittle.Yuck! Ruined some great pieces. I now use NicChrome. Works great.LIA
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

You could burn it before you use it. Always use protection. Unless you don't want to.I was picturing a person w/ a big bushy propane torch (maybe they are called roofing torches?) Anyway, they ar 15-20 at Harbor Frieght. Put on your respirator and drop the spool on a non-flamable surface like bricks or concrete and just torch it to red hot. If the concrete gets too hot, it may pop pieces off. If you get the copper too hot it may just vaporize or melt. You can do this outdoors.
j.