Attaching a piece to a bowl

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SarahM.

Attaching a piece to a bowl

Post by SarahM. »

Hello everyone~

I am stumped on another project (oh wow...again :? ) Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you!!

So I have this request for a bowl. Easy enough.
But they want a piece attached to the side of the bowl (I haven't even got to the auctual placement of the piece yet...still trying to figure out how to attach it..)

Let's say it's a leaf, so it would be a slumped bowl, with a leaf attached to the side of it. The leaf wouldn't be very large, but how to attach it?

I would like to make a lampworked leaf, but I'm assuming it would be easier to just make a fused one for attachment sake...

I was thinking...slump the bowl and then attach the leaf with a torch..to make the connection. If this isn't crazy, then would I have to "preheat" the bowl so it wouldn't crack when I apply heat? Would the attachment even work like this?

Or...I was thinking slump the bowl and then fuse on the leaf in a second firing...but how would you get the leaf in the right position to fuse--would regular fusing glue hold a somewhat heavier (but not to heavy..) object? Would fusing a piece on change the shape of the bowl?

Ahhhhh !!!

I'm going to experiment for sure, but any tips or suggestions before a couple of these go down the drain would be most appreciated if you can help! Thanks again,

Sarah

http://www.lampworkerslounge.com
Marty

Post by Marty »

Easy: glue it.

Difficult: put the bowl over a mold, put the leaf on the bowl, bring slowly to tack fuse temp and anneal.
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

Definitely, glue it. Look at many of Chihuly's Italian series, all glued. many others, all glued. It's the technology of today. just grind a flat on the embellishment and secure it with some good UV adhesive. I've got 4 glass fountains that have been outside for 3 years that are all glued and still going strong. Tenn. Tom
SarahM.

ok..

Post by SarahM. »

Glue it! Just glue it! And here I am trying to make welds......

I love you guys :lol:

Sarah
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

You can tack fuse it on before you slump. No glue needed.

Geri