Skutt-ette for life!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

PDXBarbara

Skutt-ette for life!

Post by PDXBarbara »

Chapter 666 in the saga of this Skutt 1414 guinea-pig... (if you're fascinated by the 1st 665 chapters, it's all in the new & old archives)...

As Chapter 665 drew to a close, it was friggin' Labor Day weekend and my Skutt coffin had spent a full night and part of a day hovering at about 1000F on the way into the anneal. After handling that problem with great aplomb and saving the glass inside, I spoke with my trouble-shooter supremo at Skutt... engineer MIKE HAMPEL.

Mike immediately started the ball rolling on extensive and FREE kiln therapy. Though I'm still inside the warranty period, he also OFFERED me a new 1414 lid, since I've had drooping/pindropping since the beginning. New Skutt top-element kilns have an updated design that DOESN'T USE PINS!

PERRY PETERSON at Skutt handled all the arrangements, and was a pleasure to deal with as well.

So anyway, skipping to the chapter highlights, RUSS & DAVE came to the studio and took the kiln back to the factory. (Note: Skutt can pickup because I'm in Portland, as is Skutt. They don't have to do it, though.)

Just before they finish fixing it up at the factory, Perry notices that mine is a 208 volt kiln & he called to make sure that's still what I needed. (Discussion of volts & kilnbuying : http://www.warmglass.com/cgi-bin/wgarch ... read=42048 )

So anyway (and here comes the DOH! factor...) I was certain that in my new studio, we had 240. So I said yeah make my kiln a 240 while you're at it. Perry also suggested that running my 208 on 240 might be what caused all my current kiln woes.

So, even though everyone now knew that my kiln was screwed up because of my actions, Skutt still charged me nada.

SO... I go to the studio to eagerly await for Russ & Dave to deliver my kiln. In casual chat w/ studiomate Jack, I tell him that on top of everything else Skutt's doing for me, they've morphed the kiln into a 240.

SO Whoops, DOH!. Jack tells me that ...duh.... we're a 208 studio just like my previous one. So much for eagerness and elation, right?

I call Perry & tell him & he calls Russ & Dave, who are already outside with the kiln in their truck. ACK.

I suggest to Perry that maybe the 240 will work ok on our 208 Volt setup. After all, Jack's kilns are ok with it. But Jack's uses Digitry controllers, which offer more flexibility to the user. Perry tells me that my kiln won't just be slow getting up to temp, but actually won't get to temp. As I understand it, the Skutt controller will shut off if particular temps aren't reached in particular lengths of time. So, if I set a ramp up at 600F/hr, and it can't make it within the controller's version of a reasonable +/- period...then off it goes.

So anyway... Russ and Dave take it back again. I go home, tail draggin' in the dirt. Waiting to hear how much it WILL cost me now...

So, next day (yesterday Tuesday), Russ & Dave bring it back again. The set it up, test it, test the electricity & we all schmooze kilns & glass awhile. & off they go. I sign the paperwork from Dave.... & the paperwork show there's no friggin charge!

SO, Skutt not only fix'd the 1414 free -- within warranty, but still with no question at all -- picked up and delivered --- TWICE. Changed the elements twice. And offered me a new lid for free as well.

Plus, duriing this entire saga, dealing with Skutt's been easy. Not only easy, but pleasant & enjoyable.

SO. The few of you totally hooked on this tale.... I'll post after I use the kiln a bit... & see how the new lid design works out for me.

Also, still unclear as to why the kiln malfunctioned in the first place, given that the voltage was, in fact, not the problem at all. If I find out about that, I'll post it.

SO, as Chapter 666 of this "My First Kiln" drama draws to a close, I feel pretty daggone devoted to Skutt.

So...
xxoo,
PDXBarbara
Barbara Bader
Mira

Post by Mira »

My first kiln is a Skutt also. When it arrived, it had a chip, and they gave me a new lid and let me keep the old one - which worked just fine. No problemo. I think it was Perry and Mike that helped me.

There are REAL PEOPLE working at Skutt. My next kiln will be a Skutt, and the one after that too.

Mira
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

One of my kilns is a Skutt that I bought from the local Skutt distributor and I am constantly amazed at the service I get from them. Cindy Next Door has one of the first 1414s like Barbara, and has had a couple minor issues, but each time the repair guy comes right out. While he's in the neighborhood he'll run over and check my Skutt, (which I bought from him) to make sure I have no protruding elements, or any problems AND even give my Paragon a check up - all without charge!!! I've never heard of anything like it. When I get my next kiln (clamshell) I'm getting it from him, without a doubt.

Jackie
Brock

Post by Brock »

Well!

To continue this disgusting love-in, I too embrace Skutt. I have custom kilns made by Rick LaLonde, (who will soon be teaching again, keep your eye on Vitrum's class schedule, and RUN, to take his classes) and have just bought, as my first ever production kiln, a Skutt Clamshell.

Yes, that's right, you non-believers, I'm going digital!

It's really a great kiln, thought out for fusing, not just a ceramic kiln with a controller. Many people have sung it's praises, and for good reason. And Avery and Doug agree with me as they too just bought one.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Brock wrote:Well!

Brock
Nonetheless, I assume you'll disable the controller?

Steve
Brock

Post by Brock »

Absolutely Steve, with an axe. Paul
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Trivia......

"Careful with that ax Eugene"
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Absolutely Steve, with an axe. Paul

I for one am keeping the controller....Its so easy even my dog Leo can operate it. Just have to mount it lower on the wall so he can use it. Fantastic little kiln though....now to find the spare time to wire it in....Ha!
Brock

Post by Brock »

Phil Hoppes wrote:Trivia......

"Careful with that ax Eugene"
Pink Floyd in the Barrett days.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Gee Brock

I would think that it would be a lot easier to work with the controller than to figure out how to retrofit with high, medium, low, switches. Besides, you are a fake luddite.Otherwise you wouldn't have met us online.

I just had my first encounter with Paragon's. I was not too impressed. The top loaders spit rust. One was really bad and the other just bad. I don't understand why they don't make the lids with stainless steel to avoid the flaking rust thing. The peep holes in all the Paragon's were virtually useless. The top loader looks pretty tricky to do a drop slump in. We did some in the front loader and to see inside, you open the door. That is also a bad design. Door opening kicks up lots of brick dust that stuck, not to mention the loss of heat.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Brock wrote:Well!

Brock
Gasp, Choke, Sputter. :-s

Jim