TO BLAST OR NOT TO BLAST

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

TO BLAST OR NOT TO BLAST

Post by slats »

Couldnt resist another piece of equipment....bought desk top sandblast cabinet with gun. (The one you put your hands into gloves etc) The instructions to assemble were vague but I think its ok :? Now, what kind of sand do I buy and where does it go????I will learn what to do by trial and error like all things. How big of a compressor do I need? Barbor Fre. had no idea what you use with sandblasting glass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
charlie

Post by charlie »

you need to find out whether the cabinet is has a siphon in it, or you're expected to use a pressure pot.

i have the 40 lb HF pressure pot that works quite well. you need less of a compressor for a pot than siphon. you basically buy what your wallet can afford, but buying too small will cause premature burnup of the compressor. my 29g HF vertical compressor just went kerflooy, but i got it on sale and it didn't cost that much. hope i can get it repaired for less than it cost me. look for oil sump compressors, with iron heads. you'll also need a dust extraction system (shopvac with hepa filter) and a light for the inside of the box.

standard is to use anything from 100-180 grit AlO2 or SiO2. the latter will last longer, but be more expensive.