Should I buy a Skutt kiln or JenKen???? Tell me why?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

deborahbur

Should I buy a Skutt kiln or JenKen???? Tell me why?

Post by deborahbur »

I am getting ready to buy a kiln......I have used a skutt ceramic and love it but have heard that the JenKen kiln is great for glass. Which should I buy? Any help would be great as they are the same price.

Deborah :D
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

If you are firing glass only, get the kiln that is intended for glass (skutt and Jen-Ken make glass kilns. If you want to also be able to fire clay, get the ceramic kiln, but be prepared to adjust your schedules to be more conservative to accomodate the less even heating in a ceramic kiln.

A glass kiln is really only intended to reach the upper temp of 1800F. It has side and top elements typically, whereas a ceramic kiln usually only has side elements. Top elements give more even heat which is better for firing glass.

Only you can make this decision based upon your intended uses. Also, I don't know which models of kilns you are comparing.

Think hard about what you want this kiln to do. Then chose the more appropriate kiln to do that kind of work. Skutt and Jen-Ken both make very fine kilns.
Zoe

Post by Zoe »

Hi there,

Cynthia is right. You must find the kiln that suits your needs. You should also consider customer service. I have 3 Jen Kens, a Paragon and an Evenheat. I have a friend who "swears" by her Skutt kiln. For customer service, however, I don't think you can beat Mike and Randy at Jen Ken. They are very knowledgeable, courteous and helpful.

Good luck with your decision.

Zoe
Gil Reynolds

Post by Gil Reynolds »

You may want to consider that the reason most people don’t brag about the Evenheat service is because their kilns didn’t break down in the first place. I have sold hundreds of Evenheat kilns. Problems are rare and when they do happen, the service is top drawer. You won’t be disappointed in an Evenheat kiln. You can read more about them at:
http://www.fusionheadquarters.com/Pages ... plies.html

Gil
rodney

Post by rodney »

jen-ken all the way for me,,,the service is great,,,you can call them and they will tell you anything you need to know,,,,,for me, you just cant go wrong with jen-ken

rodney
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

Love my jen-ken windows-
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider
starchimes (Andrea)

Post by starchimes (Andrea) »

Gil, thanks for the info on evenheat. I just ordered one and it is nice to hear I made the right choice. :)
Judi Charlson

kiln selection

Post by Judi Charlson »

After months of research ,obcessing ,and talking with makers of many kilns I ordered a custom kiln from olympic.I have not heard anyone speak of Olympic.but they were the only makers willing to work with me.
Specs:
30x42x27.
I do mostly casting, so I needed deep. But I want to do fusing in future. So it will have elements in lid,that can be used alone or shut off, a method to cut off power when open, a glass port hole at top. kiln sitterfor manual use , three zone control, and a glass controller on wall. Plus a counter weight system that will be mounted onto the three ring kiln in my basement so that entry into basement will be possible.
It was to be shipped this week, but double checking my order I found that they were making it 18" Deep intead of 27" So they will make this change first. Cynthia and Bob Haugen are the owners and they have been very helpful. I will let you know how it works out. The kiln I have been using is 3 ring Skutt octagon shape kiln I bought in1974. I love it and am going to have it rewired.and bricks replaced.
I use digitry with this one. It has been down for three months.I am taking this oportunity to make a good,safe shop in my basement but 'jonsing' for
the creative flow.
Judi :D
TrishV

Post by TrishV »

I have three JenKen kilns and love them. I think they were a great value and the support is exceptional. I'm not well versed in other brands however.
TrishV
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I would have thought Skutt, but as I recall, I had a conversation with Marty of CDV and he liked the Jen kens because of a feature I can't remember. Ask him.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Carolina Cricket

Post by Carolina Cricket »

I agree with Gil about EvenHeat kilns. I use one for clay that has been in use since 1992 and it has been without problems! I have "inherited" a fusing kiln minus a manual and plan to post a new topic message seeking help from this group.