Dull lines on edge of clear casing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Sharon,

I'm pretty sure the grey you saw in the kiln was NOT the kiln wash. It was the 110-J. When you fire the binders out it gets sort of grey during the process. Afterwards it turns sort of white again.

I don't put the dry kiln wash in anything. It might be too powdery to come through. I just put it in my fingers and sprinkle it on the 110-J then wipe it smooth with my hand. I don't necessarily do it every time. I run my fingers over the 110-J first to see if I need to do it again before the next firing.

I don't put channels in my cabs so I can't give you advice on that. I do know there was a long thread a while back about people trying to put channels in the cabs.

Don't know anybody in JAX with my last name.

Hope this helps.

Judy
artisand

Post by artisand »

Thanks Judy, I was just leaving the kiln wash "sprinkled." Probably why I got a rough back. I will try smoothing it out. Actually the tea-ball did a good job of sprinkling the powder pretty evenly. Guess I will just grind out the gray and try again. That's what I get for being in such a hurry.

Sharon