gallery bought just 1

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Leslie Ihde

gallery bought just 1

Post by Leslie Ihde »

was all geared up after hearing Marty's talk at the WG weekend, and immediately applied his principals of pricing. I have two galleries now selling for me on consignment and a "rep"/friend brought 7 pieces to a 3rd gallery for me yesterday. I decided no more consignment if I could avoid it. The result was, according to my friend, that that gallery liked most of my work, and is thinking about buying, but is not sure what direction she plans to take her new gallery and wasn't yet ready to buy. But she bought one piece for herself. She wants to see more work in that vein. Should I feel good or dissappointed? She also told my friend she wants a resume from me. Why would she want that? Doesn't the work speak for itself?

Leslie
Leslie Ihde
Turning Point Studio
Vestal, New York
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i see your point, of course, as to whether the works speaks for itself, but i suggest this: work does not speak for itself. i dont mean your work personally. dont underestimate the importance of what is written in a resume, bio, artist's statement, or process notes. these are marketing tools. after you get a little niche carved out for yourself, the work speaks for itself (so to speak), but the demands for the written stuff never go away.

personally, i find resumes kinda boring. i'm more interested in what people have to say about their work: how they think about it, and how they do it. if i meet an artist whose work i find interesting, i sure dont ask them what galleries they've shown at, or where they went to school. nonetheless, if you have lofty goals of making and selling art as a career, then the resume has a lot to do with proof of where you've been exhibited, and this helps with acceptance at other venues.

art in museums speaks for itself.
Leslie Ihde

bought one piece

Post by Leslie Ihde »

thank-you, Kitty. I guess one of my problems is that I don't have an impressive resume as an artist. Although I have had moderately sucessful studio sales for years, have potted since the 80's and done glass art since99 (seriously only since 2000) I only have the inumerable classes I have taken, some I've taught and articles I've written. I thought of a resume detailing the break throughs and shifts I've had in my work, but I was self-taught as a potter, and a creative writing major before my MSW. I guess I could make a nice artist's statement, though.
Leslie Ihde
Turning Point Studio
Vestal, New York
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dont spend too much time worrying about what you don't have. it sounds to me like you've got the makings of a pretty good one, since you're bringing your ceramics background to the progression into glass. i like that; it makes sense. other people will understand it, too.

personally, i dont care what classes anybody took, unless there's one that revealed a technique or skill that set you off on a tangent essential to your work. you gotta start somewhere -- perhaps a one page combo resume/statement is right for you. make it ultra-professional, and you're in business. i want to go look for a link for you about something else ... i'll return to this post later on with it. aloha, kitty.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Leslie-

The paper is a pain in the butt- but the galleries need it to help sell your work, and the collectors need it to help them justify and explain the purchase. They really are interested in your MSW and everything else you did to bring you to this point. For example, I just bought a small piece of Mel Munson's and was interested in what led him to this current work (and also found it interesting that he emigrated to Canada in the late '60s).

The resume/bio/statement/CV doesn't have to be long or profound or all-inclusive. I like to (but don't, actually) start mine with "born at an early age... Put your education in, any workshops you think were important, good shows you were in (especially the invitationals). Any personal details you want to include are OK- SWF, looking for- Oops, not those personals- but stuff like "volunteer EMT in my spare time", tells your collectors that you have a life that may or may not "inform" (lord how I hate that word) your work. You can keep it light and brief.
The less pretention, the better.
Marty
Leslie Ihde

thanks

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Ok, that sounds like good advice from both Kitty and Marty. I'll write one up and give it a whirl. The more I understand what artists do when they make it a profession, the more I understand a client of mine (a doctor) who said she decided to become a doctor when she couldn't make it as an artist!
Leslie
Leslie Ihde
Turning Point Studio
Vestal, New York
Cynthia

Re: bought one piece

Post by Cynthia »

Leslie Ihde wrote:... I have had sucessful studio sales for years, have potted since the 80's and done glass art since '99 (seriously only since 2000)... inumerable classes I have taken, some I've taught and articles I've written....

I was self-taught as a potter, and a creative writing major before my MSW. I guess I could make a nice artist's statement, though.
You just wrote your resume. Your Artists Statement is about your intent...what makes you do what you do...and it will be good too.

It isn't rocket science, but we seem to think we need a resume that says we are fabulous people who are so extraordinary that we are more impressive than can be believed. :lol:

What you just wrote speaks volumes about your journey to date. That's enough, it's impressive enough and it will help your gallery represent you and your work more fully.

She bought a piece! That's terrific. Focus on what is going right. She wouldn't have bought a piece if she didn't think she had a chance to sell it. If she gets a good response and can make a profit, she'll buy more. That's a good thing.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Leslie,

Since your friend is a new rep I thought I'd toss this in. You need to have a minimum opening order, mine is quite low at $250.00. If a gallery or anyone wants to purchase one piece for themselves they pay RETAIL. Often I'll give a courtesy of 20% off, but never sell at wholesale for less than minimum unless you happen to be at a big show and are selling off samples.

If the gallery owner is interested in carrying your work you may also say that when an order is placed you'll discount the above wholesale portion of the order from the initial purchase.

Something else to think on. Heh, if you want to see some flaky bios go to http://creekmore-glass.com/newinformation.cfm yikes I just visited there for the first time in a while and it really needs to be fixed / updated the formatting has gone bad.

Sara
Leslie Ihde

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Sara,

That sounds like good advice, too. I was wondering about the owner buying one for herself at wholesale. I'm not sure how much I mind, since if she has my piece in her home, it will be an on going reminder of me, but if she said it's for her and means to sell it, I suppose the minimum order concept would have helped. It was my friend/rep's very first experience. But I think I will adopt your policy from now on.

Thanks, Leslie
Leslie Ihde
Turning Point Studio
Vestal, New York
Sara

Post by Sara »

Leslie,

some have a number of piece minimum instead of a dollar minimum, depends on what you're selling. Since much of my work is lower price point I have the dollar amount, if you're selling bowls or large items some might say a 3 piece minimum, find your comfort spot. You want to make sure a gallery has a good balance or representation of your work.

If you wanted to sell individually you could prearrange with your rep to have an individual wholesale price amount which would be higher than wholesale yet lower than retail.

Good luck and congrats on your beginnings,

Sara
Deb Libby

Post by Deb Libby »

Hello Leslie ...
I agree totally with Sara about personal purchases at wholesale. I will usually give a 20% discount off retail for a gallery owner wanting to purchase "under minimum" (i.e. a single piece) for personal use and I do this only because I hope the piece will be enjoyed enough that he/she will decide to order more for the gallery. I, also, have a $ amount set for wholesale with a minimum number of pieces, for instance (written in all materials) "Terms: Minimum Order - $200 to include 3 pieces". The minimum number of pieces was recommended by several people experienced in wholesale (like Sara, Wendy Rosen of BMAC, etc.) because your dollar amount can often be reached with just one piece .... and you want your work shown in a grouping of at least three pieces. Sales are better when there is a grouping of 3 or more pieces.
Hope she returns to buy more .... BTW, it was very nice meeting you at the conference.

Best wishes,
Deb Libby
http://www.libbyartglass.com