needed advice for cracks

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

needed advice for cracks

Post by slats »

Just finished first raking experience.....gr8 results...except lost about 1/3 of the total piece because it shifted down off the shelf when I went into rake the second time...(Got beautiful blobs because of this)..I think there was too much resistance....but I salvaged 2/3 and happy EXCEPT for a small hairline crack in the bottom middle...I want to refuse this onto a black circular blank. Will this crack fuse together? What is the best thing to do? Should I sand it before I fuse? Thanks :lol:
Don Burt

Re: needed advice for cracks

Post by Don Burt »

doctac wrote:Just finished first raking experience.....gr8 results...except lost about 1/3 of the total piece because it shifted down off the shelf when I went into rake the second time...(Got beautiful blobs because of this)..I think there was too much resistance....but I salvaged 2/3 and happy EXCEPT for a small hairline crack in the bottom middle...I want to refuse this onto a black circular blank. Will this crack fuse together? What is the best thing to do? Should I sand it before I fuse? Thanks :lol:
I don't know what to do with the hairline crack. but as of tonight I know exactly what to call it. - Stanislav
Brock

Re: needed advice for cracks

Post by Brock »

doctac wrote:Just finished first raking experience.....gr8 results...except lost about 1/3 of the total piece because it shifted down off the shelf when I went into rake the second time...(Got beautiful blobs because of this)..I think there was too much resistance....but I salvaged 2/3 and happy EXCEPT for a small hairline crack in the bottom middle...I want to refuse this onto a black circular blank. Will this crack fuse together? What is the best thing to do? Should I sand it before I fuse? Thanks :lol:
Set it up on your blank, and heat it up slowly. Check (he he) at 1000F.
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .