kiln info wanted

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

marobi

kiln info wanted

Post by marobi »

Hi,
I am in the process of ordering(probably) the Paragon SC2 or the SC2vista(window model) kiln. It has the front door opening. Does anyone have any experience with this kiln? I have a JenKen which has lost temp control on a few occasions...but does great fusing.
Also, the SC2vista has a maximum temp of 1700 while the SC2(windowless) has a max temp of 2000. I may want to use it for enameling too.
Have any of you experience with this Paragon model or Which one would any of you suggest.
Thanks in advance,
Marilyn
Alecia Helton

kiln info wanted

Post by Alecia Helton »

One of my kilns is a Paragon SC2. It is a good reliable kiln. I like it and will continue to use it, it is just too small. It has a shelf size of 6" square, as does the other kiln you mentioned. The window in the other kiln is really too small to be very useful. It is very easy to open the kiln door to see how the glass is doing, without affecting glass temperature (as long as it is a quick peek).

Hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you have any more. I've just ordered my third Paragon.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
marobi

Post by marobi »

Alecia,
Thanks for the input. Realize that the kiln shelf space is a bit small, but if it's reliable for small pieces, I can live with that. I'm used to a minimum shelf size of 7-9" with the other kilns I have. Will check to see if this kiln has shelf rows, where you can fuse 2 rows at once.
Also, your info on the window is important, or lack of window size.
Thanks again...
Marilyn
Alecia Helton

Kiln Info wanted

Post by Alecia Helton »

If you want to use multiple shelves, you'll have to stack them on kiln, posts. The kiln is not set up for using multiple shelves.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
marobi

Post by marobi »

Hi Alecia,
Again, great info for me. I thought that they were able to slide in to "racks". I don't usually like to stack on kiln posts.
Much appreciated,
Marilyn
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Marobi,

I have a SC-2 and really like it. I use it in conjunction with my larger Paragon GL-22 AD. I use it for jewelry and small test pieces. It heats up and cools quickly. I haven't tried multiple shelves, but one can run a cycle so quickly, it's not cumbersone to just run two quick firings rather than one slow firing with two shelves.

Steve
marobi

Post by marobi »

Steve,
Glad to hear the good report on the multiple firings. I don't like using the kiln shelves for the reasons you said. I've used the kiln a few times at a friend's studio for firing pmc products, but not fusing which is what I do most of the time.
Will probably order it shortly.
Thanks,
Marilyn