Mica powder

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JoV

Mica powder

Post by JoV »

I tried a sample of mica powder in with a batch of tack fusing. New kiln so I wasn't sure of the temperture. (I'm also a new fuser. Is that a word? Old broad - new fuser)
Some of the powder wiped off. Does that mean the temp wasn't high enough? 1350 degrees left the edges of the glass too sharp. 1375 made the coarsest frit melt too much. But the edges weren't sharp.
In an earlier post did I read correctly I could mix isopropyl alcohol with mica powder to apply?

I'm really happy to be a part of this list.

J, who is
Leaving tomorrow for Philadelphia for the National Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier dog show with some of her newly fused wares.
JoAnne
From the top of the hill, we can see the Arch
Jerry

Mica

Post by Jerry »

Depends on what you are trying to do how you apply it and how you fire it.

On a single sheet, you can spray mica using Isopropyl alcohol and a heat gun to keep the glass warm; works well and about 5 coats is enough. Regardless of how you apply it, around 1400 degrees is your temperature. Above that and it burns off. However, mica doesn't fuse; it will sink into hot glass and the excess can be wiped off, or used again.

Encasing mica is a different story because you can encase, fuse, slump or anything else. Once encased, the mica doesn't mind the heat.

Good luck,
Jerry
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

and it is normal for all but the layer of mica that adhered to the glass to wipe off.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
katesaunders

Post by katesaunders »

I fire my mica up to 1438 (my full fuse temp.) and it doesn't burn off. There is always some left on the surface to wipe off. Love the stuff!
Kate