Mixing with the Best II

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Brock

Mixing with the Best II

Post by Brock »

Ron,
It says right in the preface that you can distribute it for educational purposes and gives people the right to make copies.
j.

Where? I couldn't find it.

I have been in touch with Angela Thwaites, the co-author of this CD, and she has referred me to Sandra Reynard, the secretary of the RCA. There is indeed a legal wrangle ocurring, and I think we had all best relax until we find out the legal status of duping this CD. We may well be in copywright violation. I will report back asap. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Brock

Post by Brock »

The reply from Sandra Reynard:

The College is unable to supply this CD and cannot authorise the illegal copying of the disc.

Be very careful people . . .
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

I apologize. It was a while back that I read it. I re-examined my copy and believe I got that Idea into my head by combining a) the lines from format and navigation about how it is designed to be easy to download and print and b) Editor's Note where in it is stated that they hope Mixing w/ the best will be accessable to practitioners and that the information will be useful and could be expanded and developed.

Clearly in the publication and dissemination section it does not say, "hey y'all make yourself some copies."

However, if you are in contact w/ the writer why not just suggest an honor system for those who are already in process? Also they could have downloadable copies available for purchase from their website. If they really wanted to disseminate the research...

Again, sorry that I didn't double check before I shot my mouth off.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Hey, no problem Jerry, I just thought I was missing it. There's a TON of info on that CD, and I could easily have overlooked a part of it. Brock
afilloon

....the Best - Copyright Statement

Post by afilloon »

I'm fuzzy on who owns the copyright to the contents of the CD; is it the university or is it the individual contributors?

Could someone who has a Cd, post the copyright statement?

Thanks

Allen
Allen
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

The author owns the copyright unless he has given or sold it to the publisher. Regarding the halt in publication of the cd, the question may be whether the artists feel like they own their techniques and whether they agreed to let them be published. So the copyrights may be cloudy on a couple of levels.

This is my guess what happened.

The original contact with the artists may have been along the lines of, "We're trying to research the very best way to cast glass. Would you please fill out this questionare, describe your techniques and formulas? We will test the variations and let everyone know what works the best." I vaguely remember a form being passed out at Corning GAS a couple of years ago that asked questions about casting techniques.

Then the cd comes out and a few artists are surprised to find their names and techniques described and available to the public at large. They didn't understand that this would be the case and they have asked the University to stop publishing the cd. Whether this information comes under the definition of copyright or not is a tricky matter. No doubt they would all have to pay a lot of money to a lot of lawyers to straighten it out.

This is similar to the file sharing controversy stirring up the music industry. The artists hate it, the publishers hate it, but the cat's out of the bag. And how much are you hurting any one person by copying information that nobody is selling anyway? Personally, I don't download music files, but I'm going to continue looking for a copy of this cd. I won't ask anybody that's uncomfortable about it to copy it for me.

KaZaa anyone?

ch
Brock

Re: ....the Best - Copyright Statement

Post by Brock »

afilloon wrote:I'm fuzzy on who owns the copyright to the contents of the CD; is it the university or is it the individual contributors?

Could someone who has a Cd, post the copyright statement?

Thanks

Allen
Copyright 2002 Angela Thwaites

Original research work by Keith Saybert and Angela Thwaites

Written by Angela Thwaites

Research funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Board, hosted by the Royal College of Art
Brock

Post by Brock »

Original research work by Keith Saybert and Angela Thwaites

Written by Angela Thwaites

Research funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Board, hosted by the Royal College of Art

To summarize briefly, evidently the College has stopped dissemination of the CD under threat of legal action from Mr. Saybert. I have no information as to the reasons for this possible action.
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Unless she has signed some contract limiting her copyright I believe that Angela Thwaites can do whatever she wants to distribute and it is not up to the College as they don't have the copyright.
Maybe if we contact her directly she can think of something or at least authorize our little dupe project. I think she should make it downloadable from Warmglass for a fee that helps fund warmglass and gets her her rightful cut.
j.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Brock

Post by Brock »

jerry flanary wrote:

Unless she has signed some contract limiting her copyright I believe that Angela Thwaites can do whatever she wants to distribute and it is not up to the College as they don't have the copyright.
Maybe if we contact her directly she can think of something or at least authorize our little dupe project. I think she should make it downloadable from Warmglass for a fee that helps fund warmglass and gets her her rightful cut.
j.
From Angela:

Hi Brock,

thanks for your e mail. Its a difficult one about the CD. We made a 1000 and there are still hundreds at the Royal College of Art (RCA) who published it, and are supposed to be selling it. However Keith Seybert, who worked with me on the practical side of the original research has threatened the college with legal action, so the RCA is not sending them out until the situation is resolved...You can contact the secretary Sandra Reynard on s.reynard@rca.ac.uk and see if there is any change now that college is back in session after summer, and if I find out sooner, I will e you back.

Cheers

Angela

From Sandra Reynard:

The College is unable to supply this CD and cannot authorise the illegal copying of the disc.

Hmmmmm?