Artist's Bio / Statement - Critiques Comments

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Suzan

Artist's Bio / Statement - Critiques Comments

Post by Suzan »

After reading the constructive comments on the "Bio and/or Resume" thread, I finally came up with something that's more of a Bio and Statement combined together. The content feels right to me, however, I would appreciate comments/critiques on the writing style or whatever. Here it is:

"Since childhood, I've had a passion for drawing and spent endless hours attempting to capture the objects around me on paper, creating worlds of beauty within my sketchbook. Then, real life intervened and the necessity of earning a living put my childhood worlds behind. This led first to the study of languages at Dalhousie University, where I later decided to major in Ancient Studies. Mythology was a new way to explore internal worlds, ways in which humans express themselves through stories. Despite completing an M.A. in ancient Greek literature, I was still unemployable, so turned to computer studies. This line of work was
very engrossing for a few years, as it forces one to think both linearly and laterally at the same time. But soon I felt something was missing, until I realized that I longed for the internal world of my childhood visions. The brought me back to drawing and painting, but then one day I drove by a stained glass shop and stopped to look around. From that moment on, I was enamoured with glass, the way it shines and moves without moving, the way it transmits light, which cannot be equalled by paint.

My work is eclectic in subject matter, as I'm fascinated by the forms and colours of the many objects around me. I am deeply moved by trees, flowers, and animals; by patterns and forms, as well as stone, metal objects, and industrial landscapes, urban views and ruins. The most cohesive thing I could say about my work is that I believe that all things can be beautiful if viewed in a certain way, and my work attempts to present a beautiful representation of those objects."

Cheers,
Suzan
Alecia Helton

Artist's Bio/Statement -- Critiques & Comments

Post by Alecia Helton »

The first thing I would say is that it is beautifully written. The words flow into one another in a way that makes the reader want to know what you are going to say next. Excellent Job!

In my admittedly unexpert opinion, it definately fits the Artist Statement requirements and offers as much biographical information as I offer in my combined bio/statement.

I'll be watching for the rest of the comments with a lot of curiousity to see if we both offer enough detail.

Again, great job.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Cher

Post by Cher »

that could have been me you're writing about, with the exception of the education, but all the rest.... that was supurb !
Yo
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

I especially like that it isn't full of "crap" like many that I've encountered... you don't use out-of-reach vocabulary our sound "way out there" just for the sake of sounding mysterious...normal people understand what you're saying and will feel more connected to you when they purchase your work.

I'm convinced that some must make up for their less than work by getting high and creating an artist statement that makes them "sound the part" :wink:
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider
Suzan

Post by Suzan »

Thanks for your responses. It felt right, even though it didn't sound like many other high falutin' statements I've read, which I found over complicated and downright bizarre. I think I'm on the right track. Cheers!
Carol

Re: Artist's Bio / Statement - Critiques Comments

Post by Carol »

Suzan wrote:Despite completing an M.A. in ancient Greek literature, I was still unemployable, so turned to computer studies. This line of work was
very engrossing for a few years, as it forces one to think both linearly and laterally at the same time. But soon I felt something was missing, until I realized that I longed for the internal world of my childhood visions. The brought me back to drawing and painting, but then one day I drove
Suzan, I'd echo what the other said and also suggest that you re-work two negatives in the middle of your statement around something missing into more positive statements.

Perhaps you could consider something like:

Following completion of an MA in ancient Greek literature, I became engrossed in computer studies for several years. This field helped me develop the discipline of thinking both linearly and laterally at the same time. A longing for the internal world of my childhood visions brought me back to drawing and painting.

Just a suggestion

Carol
Last edited by Carol on Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

I especially like that it isn't full of "crap" like many that I've encountered... you don't use out-of-reach vocabulary our sound "way out there" just for the sake of sounding mysterious...normal people understand what you're saying and will feel more connected to you when they purchase your work.

I'm convinced that some must make up for their less than work by getting high and creating an artist statement that makes them "sound the part"

Hmmmmm......... Kelly - we certainly all have a right to our opinions and I certainly respect your right to voice your opinion and position. This is the beautiful part of participating on WGBB, where it's usually an open discussion forum.

Some food for thought: There are different types of statements for different types of career application within the arts.

http://www.eciad.bc.ca/wc/artstate.htm

Have you read any of the statements from artists who've succeeded in obtaining Fulbright scholarships, NEA Grants (when these were available), Pollock-Krasner Scholarships, etc & etc.........?

These statements tend to be oriented toward intellectual arts introspection, the artists have an educated command of the language and their work does not seem lacking or "less than" in execution or content. These statements are are rarely considered "out there" by the panels of grant readers.

Art making & viewing is a subjective and personal experience. Now, this is just my personal opinion, but it seems rather narrow minded to me to take pot shots at any segment of the arts making or viewing world. As in the making and presenting of art, there is a place of understanding for any of it.

Since this is an open forum, I propose a differing view from yours. Let's not be limiting to those who may march to a different drum and aspire to do something other than what we understand or aspire to do ourselves.
charlie

Post by charlie »

but people write to their selected audience. if those scholarship committees are looking for statements of such and such a type, than that's what they get, thus becoming both a self-fulfilling prophecy and a reinforcement of this idea.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

charlie wrote:but people write to their selected audience. if those scholarship committees are looking for statements of such and such a type, than that's what they get, thus becoming both a self-fulfilling prophecy and a reinforcement of this idea.
I think the difference is in the audience for certain. If I am a plumber talking to plumbers, I will use the vocabulary of my trade. If I am a plumber talking to the general public, I will use the vocabulary that they will understand.

If the statement is for the maker, then it is a way to focus and deliniate your direction. If it is written for the gallery, it is a way to describe for the viewer what your focus is. The audience may or may not be arts educated. It's up to the maker who they feel their audience is and what language to use.

I have to agree with Gail's sentiments. If a statement is written for the arts educated or intellectual consumer, it can be difficult to understand the statement. But it absolutely doesn't mean that the work is lacking in execution or content.

I have read technical journals that were way over my head and left me bemused or confused. I didn't think that it was a bunch of high falutin hoo haw...just that it was a field I had little understanding of.

The arts, just like plumbing or engineering, isn't a field that only the truly talented can practice or partake of. It's a skill and a discipline and it can be learned just as the language that goes with it can be learned. Artspeak gets a bad rap, particularly from those who are unfamiliar with the vocabulary. Art speak is a bunch of terms, a vocabulary that allows us to discuss the work before us in terms that have concrete definitions. :)
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I've disagreed with Gale in the past, I think, on the topic of taking pot shots. Maybe it wasn't Gale but it was someone who felt artists should spend more energy supporting one-another than criticising one-another. I understand that sentiment. You can't refute its practical value. But I don't think we should hold back from direct coarse brutal criticism, direct challenges, demands, even cheap shots, to artists. As far as I'm concerned, artists are entertainers, they should understand that they're subject to severe bullshit scrutiny and they should be prepared to deal with it or ignore it or be impervious to it, depending on how good they are at it. I don't mean being cruel or unneccessarily blunt to amateur craftpeople or say, to guys who are learning to glass-paint and like to do frogs and mice. But I don't mind calling-out anyone who puts an unremarkable piece of craft on a shelf and depends on a subtext for intellectual substance. If they're good, they can handle it. If they're not good, they deserve it.

And I'm not one who dislikes obtuse art. I don't require art confine itself to visual concerns rather than intellectual or multiple perceptual concerns. I like it, and like to read the philosophy behind it, probably more than most people. I just don't hold it in higher regard than fine craft.
Gale aka artistefem

But I don't think we should hold back from direct coarse brutal criticism, direct challenges, demands, even cheap shots, to artists.

Yes to all the above, db....except the cheap shots. I'm of the nurture through constructive criticisim tribe. Honest - direct critique with tangible techniques/ideas for consideration offered to assist in the artist's growth. I don't have time to expend energy trying to motivate anyone through cheap jabs at their psyche.

I just don't hold it in higher regard than fine craft.

Me either - LOL! It's ah-l-l-l-l-l-l-l good.
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

My post was simply intended to compliment Suzan on the her artist's statement... I thought it was very conversational and told her story nicely. If I offended someone in the process, I apologize.
kelly alge

Gale aka artistefem

Kelly...no hard feelings from this quarter.

We've had some pretty dogged threads and explosive strong exchanges in the past on WG where people left the forum due to hard feelings. Much of this problem has been about intolerance.

I apologize to you for applying the words narrow-minded in this situation. My use of these strong words has nipped at my heels the last few days and this type of behavior is not what I'm about at all! I hugely support the positive effects of constructive critisicim and my retort was not constructive.

So, if you will - let's start again. Friends?????

Gale
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Hi Kelley,

I again will have to agree with Gail's sentiments. I didn't take offense, but wanted to support that there are statements that are geared toward an arts educated or intellectual audience and that isn't about Baffling 'em with Bullshit vocabulary.

I probably should have also commented that I have seen and met my share of Bafflers. :shock:
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

I should have rephrased my post to say "a few" instead of "many", that I thought were full of crap... . I wasn't referring to educated intellectual artists statements, but rather to a few specific artists that I know personally- One who paints commercially molded ceramics, and another who is a former mermaid.

On another note, I should avoid posting when I'm grouchy.... words like "crap" and negative opinions just start falling out of me... :-#
kelly alge

Firehouse Glass

Re: Artist's Bio / Statement - Critiques Comments

Post by Firehouse Glass »

Suzan wrote:
My work is eclectic in subject matter, as I'm fascinated by the forms and colours of the many objects around me. I am deeply moved by trees, flowers, and animals; by patterns and forms, as well as stone, metal objects, and industrial landscapes, urban views and ruins. The most cohesive thing I could say about my work is that I believe that all things can be beautiful if viewed in a certain way, and my work attempts to present a beautiful representation of those objects."

Hi Suzan,

I think that your bio does a good job of conveying your journey as an artist. You have discussed your early influences and process, the steps that you have taken in your life, and the consistent search for meaning that comes from the creative process. It is interesting to see the way so many people come full circle.

Regarding your request for input, I think that the last sentence of the last paragraph (quoted above) could be reworded for a more positive slant. Something like, "A cohesive element in my work is the exploration of the beauty inherent in all things..." or however you would like to phrase it.

The other thing that I would suggest is that your bio and your artist's statement should both be written in the third person. It is the standard convention for artists' marketing materials.

Good luck!
Tina Keller
Tina Keller
Firehouse Glass