my first show

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

ruthpowers

my first show

Post by ruthpowers »

This week I am doing my first show. In Austin, the businesses of South Congress Avenue host First Thursday. It has been developing to kind of a drinking party, but I decided to set up in hopes that the months leading up to the Xmas holidays will attract shoppers looking for gifts. My preferred location has offered me space in their parking lot--the shop/pharmacy of the School of Chinese Medicine. Yes, here in Austin, we can do it outside most any time of the year. I have my tables, lights (6-10:00 p.m. time frame), a beautiful fireplace screen from Target to display my jewelry from, some other metal bins which I will fill with black beans and rice (not together) to display my things on. I have my list, which I made up from reading this board and CraftsReport. I am ready.
And, I have set up another gig--in the little historic town of Gruene, Texas, between Austin and San Antonio. I will be doing their "Market Days" on the third weekend of each month. They allow only artists who create their own work, and I am really excited to have this venue as an outlet. They draw good crowds. It is a sweet tourist destination, with a 100-year-old dance hall. So, dear friends on warmglass, wish me well. I will be evangelizing for us all.
Peace,
Ruth Powers
Glass Silver Dance Dogs
Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

First shows are a blast. You'll also learn alot. Good luck.
Alecia Helton

my first show

Post by Alecia Helton »

Good Luck. And, remember that this is a learning experience. I've been doing shows for about 18 months and have learned so much, and I keep learning more every show that I do.

Keep an eye on what sells and what doesn't. My original assumptions were wrong and consequently my product mix has had to change significantly.

And, be sure to let us know on Monday how it went.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Good Luck Ruth. Just take a deep breath then relax and enjoy the ride. You will shake your head at a lot of the questions. LOL I have been doing stained glass shows for about 6-7 years now but just this year started putting in some of my slumped and fused glass. What goes isn't what I thought would go. Since I do the shows to make money I make what sells not necessarily what I want to make. I have winter to make what I want. Have a good time. Nanc
Nanc
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Good luck, Ruth! I've been doing shows since 1992 and am still learning new sutff. It's always an adventure. Just when you think you have it "down" something changes...

A few words of advice about doing shows

1. Don't park your vehicle in someone else's booth space. This is a mistake I've seen numerous show newbies make and is a good way to get the promoter or booth space owner really annoyed with you.

2. Follow the show "old-timer's" lead when it comes to parking your vehicle. If they all park on one side of the street, park your car there, too, or you may block traffic. Blockng traffic flow during set up or tear down is another good way to annoy promoters, police and other exhibitors.

3. Do introduce yourself to your neighbors and ask them what kind of work they make. This may give you a clue as to whether their work or customers will cause problems with your glass work and may help you make some decisions about how to set up your display to minimize the possibility of breakage.

3. Practice setting up your booth before the show so you know how to do it efficiently.

4. Be flexible.

5. Ignore people as much as possible during set up and tear down. For some people, this is a very stressful time and they may not be their normal selves.

6. Be prepared for your customers. Have your sales forms, packing materials, bags, etc. ready and waiting, but out of sight. Greet people as they come in your booth.

7. Be mentally prepared for some really silly questions from people. You may want to read the archives of this board to find out the frequently asked ones. When you get a silly question, answer it as seriously and politely as possible. They may not be a customer, but the person standing next to them could be and will see how you react.

Oh...there's so much more I could say, but this is a start.

And finally there's the most important part...try to make it a fun experience for yourself, your show neighbors and customers. If your enighbors have suggestions for you, listen to them. They may be right. LOL.

Best of luck!

Geri
ruthpowers

Post by ruthpowers »

Well, my little show was a success in many ways. I got to do a dry-run for the weekend show coming up in 10 days. I have improvements to make to my set up, purchases to make, etc. And I enjoyed the people who came by. I only sold about $95 worth of jewelry, but my artist neighbors said that they had done very poorly that night. I did learn that I don't have to engage with every person who comes by--I talked alot and my voice was tired at the end of the evening. My energy stayed high, tho I can see that packing up after a 2-day weekend will be different. So I have my support crew coming to help.
This weekend I am making a fitted cover for the tables (sewing is easy for me) to dress up my look. I am getting a couple more tables, raising them, and trying to find a canopy. It seems they are off-season now.
Thanks for all your support and encouragement.
Ruth Powers
Glass Silver Dance Dogs
Alecia Helton

my first show

Post by Alecia Helton »

Ruth,

You can get a canopy at Sam's Club. They have them year round.

Good luck with your second show.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX