what kind of wire for fusing into pieces for hanging??

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

MarlaS

what kind of wire for fusing into pieces for hanging??

Post by MarlaS »

hi....i've searched the archives, & see lots of references to using copper wire, but wonder exactly what kind of wire to use? i just want to fire some simple hanging loops into my piece, but am presuming that just any old copper wire won't do?? is there such a thing as 'high heat' wire & if so, where can i get it??

thanks!
charlie

Post by charlie »

if you're going to heat it up, nichrome wire. you can by a large spool of it cheaply at mcmasters or grainger.

if you're just going to hang something without heating the wire, i'd use steel or steel braided wire. it won't stretch as copper wire will.
MarlaS

thanks but

Post by MarlaS »

thanks, charlie! i appreciate the advice.

i do want to fire it.....i found graingers on the web, but search for "nichrome" or "nichrome wire" turned up nothing ... am i just being blond, or should i use another term to find the item??

marla
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i use copper wire, brass wire, stainless wire, brass bead chain, stainless bead chain, brass toilet chain.... it all works in the kiln. make some test pieces and see what you like. rosanna
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Many ceramic supply places carry nichrome wire under the name "high temperature wire." Shouldn't be hard to find.
charlie

Post by charlie »

sorry. nichrome is really nickel chromium wire. try searching on "nickel chromium wire" at http://www.mcmaster.com/
Doris Sisk

Post by Doris Sisk »

While we're on this subject...what gauge wire do you usually use?
Dani

Post by Dani »

charlie wrote:if you're going to heat it up, nichrome wire. you can by a large spool of it cheaply at mcmasters or grainger.

if you're just going to hang something without heating the wire, i'd use steel or steel braided wire. it won't stretch as copper wire will.
Copper wire won't stretch... the trick is to work-harden it after annealing(heating) by tapping it lightly with the flat side of a hammer. You can get some very cheap copper wire by stripping the coating off electrical wire. :wink: You can prevent blackening (firescale) by coating with borax before firing.