hey bert

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rodney

hey bert

Post by rodney »

hey there,,what is this SCORE AND TORCH thing,,,,,thanks, rodney
Marty

Post by Marty »

It was pretty kewl, Rodney- first Bert slathered on some kerosene, then he took this really dull cutter to the glass (you could see the veins pop out on his forehead!) and then he fired up this humongous torch (pitch pine, I think) and aimed it at the glass! And the glass broke! Right where it was supposed to!

Actually, the demo at WG2 was cool- the heat runs the crack perpendicularly through the glass, leaving very little clean-up of flares and clamshell chips. Bert says that coldworking is anathema.
Bert Weiss

Re: hey bert

Post by Bert Weiss »

rodney wrote:hey there,,what is this SCORE AND TORCH thing,,,,,thanks, rodney
There is one more very important step. You have to begin the run all around the score. The heat only finishes the break, you have to start it first. I have met people who claim to have control running a score with just heat, but it never works for me.

As an aside, I worked with a master glass cutter last week who got the entire job done with the palm of his hand and it was a better edge than mine. I love watching people with a clue.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
rodney

Post by rodney »

what did the master glass cutter do,,,using his palm and all,,,

ive tried cutting glass right out to the kiln, when still hot, and that seems to work, but one thing im having problems with, when i put the plyers on the glass, the glass tends to crumble, even if its cold, when trying to break the glass,,,hummmmmm,,,,maybe i need another tool, what tool would that be

what im trying to do, is cut some squares, as in a grid, and get a bunch of little squares

thanks,rodney
Marty

Post by Marty »

Rodney- you're going to need a saw. Rent one for half a day, it's the only way to go. Marty