Removing epoxy?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Alecia Helton

Removing epoxy?

Post by Alecia Helton »

I had several bails shift before the epoxy dried. Is there any way to salvage either the glass or the bails? And, to think I thought I'd have fewer failures with epoxy than with drilling holes.

Thanks,
Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Claudia Whitten

Re: Removing epoxy?

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Alecia Helton wrote:I had several bails shift before the epoxy dried. Is there any way to salvage either the glass or the bails? And, to think I thought I'd have fewer failures with epoxy than with drilling holes.

Thanks,
Alecia
Alecia,
I have good luck with using nail polish remover. I just soak them over night and clean them up in the morning. I have done this a few times. There are probably other things that work but I have had success with this method..Claudia
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

You can soak in acetone... it will soften and dissolve most epoxies

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Alecia Helton

Removing epoxy?

Post by Alecia Helton »

Thanks for the help. I had never heard that acetone would disolve eopxy.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Brock

Post by Brock »

Acetone is the active ingredient in nail polish remover. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
charlie

Post by charlie »

Brock wrote:Acetone is the active ingredient in nail polish remover. Brock
in the us, a lot of the nail polish removers don't have acetone in them anymore. of course, you can get a gallon of acetone at home depot for the price of a couple of small bottles of polish remover too.

acetone is really good at moving really bad things through unbroken skin, and leads to liver problems, which is why there's such a push to remove it from polish remover.
Vic

Post by Vic »

You can soak in warm water to break the bond, then clean with a razor
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

YOu really ought to check nail polish remover carefully. My girlfriend had one with MEK. YIKES! and it said, "natural, good for your skin!"
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
LDGlass

Post by LDGlass »

It's happened to me and I never thought of nail polish remover! That sounds a lot easier than what I've done which is grind them off... either with a dremel tool or the small grinder bit on the top of my glass grinder... not too good for my glass grinder tho. :roll:
But I have been able to get them off successfully without doing any damage to the glass.

Laura
Carolyn Ledbetter

Post by Carolyn Ledbetter »

There is also a product called "Attack" (check with a jewelers equipment/supply store). It is a light purple liquid solvent that comes in a retangular can. The items to be "unglued" must be soaked in it (I use a small baby food jar), but the epoxy disolves away.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

You can also heat to about 250° and pull them apart. Then soak in acetone to clean up the residue.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Terry Craig

Post by Terry Craig »

here on for cleaning up after you glue. don't use the yucky chemicles for tool cleaning or for washing it of your hands if you don't wear gloves just use plain old white viniger, just chuck any thing that has epoxy on it while it is still wet in a pail of plain viniger and then rinse it off. wash your hands in viniger and then use whatever soap you like to get rid of the viniger smell. i learned this while working with a boat builder doing epoxy work and it worked like a dream no left over epoxy smell.
terry