sandblast system hookup ?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ann Demko

sandblast system hookup ?

Post by Ann Demko »

Here it goes. Hope I can make this ? clear enough to understand. I got a syphon sandblast cabinet. Also purchased a 40lb pressure pot. Everything is ready to connect. The cabinet has a recepticle in the lower right hand cornor to receive the air supply from the compressor. It has one of those quick connectors that you just plug your air supply into. Inside the gun hose is attached to the supply line and it has an extra hose that goes to the siphon tube. I know I don't need that gun set up if I'm using the pressure pot. My questions are. 1. Can I use the outside quick connect to hook up my pots sand line ? I know it's intention is to accomodate air only and not a flow of sand. 2. If the quick connect system can still be used, can I use the gun that came with it sans the syphon line? Ann
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Ann

You could use the quick connect, but after passing sand for a couple of hours, there's a really good chance that you'll wear through the connector and you may not be able to replace it (if it's a Harbor Freight or similar import cabinet). You can't use the siphon gun with the abrasive flow because of the way the air flows through the gun... it will be destroyed in short order if you try.

Remove the gun, and the hose to the siphon tube and put them away. That will preserve them for when you get a larger cabinet and sell the unit to the car hobbyist down the street. Get a blow gun for the air hose that comes into the cabinet via the quick disconnect so you can blow abrasive and dust off your work before removing it from the cabinet, and add another hole into the cabinet for your abrasive hose from the pressure pot. Use a hole saw and line the hole with electrical tape or if you can find a commercial grommet, put one in the hole to protect the hose from chafing.

Good luck

Tony

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Lionel

Post by Lionel »

FYI - All cabinets leak! Wear a mask at all times - not just when you clean up or remove your stuff from the cabinet.

If it came with a dust collector - empty it out doors - not in your studio.
Lionel Prevost
psg@lava.net
(808)262-7771
Ann Demko

Post by Ann Demko »

Thank you all. I ended up running the hose and blast assembly that came with my pot. Ann